News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Fuel line and routing - Ranchero

Started by jhicks5, 2021-02-10 09:44

Previous topic - Next topic

jhicks5

I need to run the fuel line on my '57 Ranchero w/Y-block and will be bending my own using 5/16" line, which I think is what was original. The car now has a combination of rubber and steel tube that is not original and I do not know what exactly is correct. Steel tube all the way from tank to fuel pump? Maybe a final run of rubber hose to the pump?   

I understand the line from the tank ultimately runs outside the drivers side frame rail, and somewhere forward of the left rear wheel goes between the frame rail and the floor pan to get there. Others here have suggested the need for a two piece line with a connector here to help get between the rail and the floor pan.

Moving forward outside the frame rail it should follow the rear brake line I think. Then I am not sure where and how it comes into the engine compartment, but probably similar to the brake line as it comes back from the outside of the frame rail and up by the steering box.

Inside the engine compartment from near the steering box mine had 3 feet of rubber hose running to a nipple on the fuel pump held on with a hose clamp. I have downloaded a lot of engine compartment photos but do not have a good image of what was original.  I do have a factory original '59 retractable to look at, but of course the fuel tank is in a completely different place. It has an FE block with fuel pump in same place and that might tell me what I need to know inside the engine compartment.  Thanks for any help.  Jim

RICH MUISE

I have no clue where the oem line ran....I ran my supply and return lines on the passenger side because that's the side of where it connected to my engine. Both have flex lines for the connections at both ends. What I did want to recommend is using NiCopp for the lines. SOOOO much easier to bend and flare. Expensive, but well worth it. Everyone that uses the NiCopp for fuel and brake lines would never go back to steel.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

abe_lugo

Not sure if the same on a Fairlane, but see if this helps.
Abe      Los Angeles, CA  IN Los Angeles proper. 90008

59meteor

The 6 cylinder cars had the fuel lines down the passenger side, V8 was drivers side, as that is the side the fuel pumps are located. The front used a braided cloth covered flex hose from the fuel pump to the metal line. The flex hose was about 10-12" long.  The steel line was one piece, all the way from the gas tank to the front flex hose, pretty much impossible to replicate with the body on the frame. On my 59, I made up new brake lines from 3/16" NiCopp, for the fuel line I used 3/8" NiCopp. I did it in one piece from the fuel pump to where the rear frame rail kicks up over the rear end, then made another section from the gas tank to the kickup, running the line along the rear shock crossmember, and between the top of the frame and the body. As mentioned, the Ni Copp is much easier to bend and flare.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

jhicks5

Thanks to all for the input.  abe_lugo the images are extremely helpful. Hope to have it on the road by spring.  Attached photo - fresh out of the paint shop last fall.
Jim

59meteor

Looks great, I always liked Starmist blue & white, my 59 is painted the same colors.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

hiball3985

That looks really good. I see you filled in the body seam under the tail light? Any other body mods?
We love more pictures  :001:
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

abe_lugo

:burnout: Wish we had a like button, because that things is sweet. So is that Starmist blue?  Im looking at the same color for mine, is that a light metallic or solid color?? I never really looked at that color but it shows up as a the light blue on '57.
Abe      Los Angeles, CA  IN Los Angeles proper. 90008

jhicks5

Just good old Ford Starmist Blue, no metallic. At Back to the 50s Car Show in the Twin Cities there is a small group that brings together their Starmist Blue '57s. They have most body styles including a T-Bird. Its pretty neat to see them all together and I hope to be there this summer with the Ranchero.

When it is done it will be stock with no major modifications, though I did put on front disc brakes. 

SkylinerRon

Look for the original mounting clips on the frame.

Ron.