News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

302 Headers - what will fit?

Started by meteor, 2008-10-31 15:18

Previous topic - Next topic

meteor

For all those running a 302 in their 57 - what headers are you using? I have a 59 steering box to make more room - I bought a set of Mustang shorty headers, driver side is perfect, pass does not fit - hits the top of the control arm.

thanks

matt
check out my site: www.brightworkautoart.com

JPotter57

I had a set of old Blackjack headers for a 65-66 Mustang that fit pretty well...  Most headers for mid `60's Fords will fit without any mods..Most of the shorty headers for late Mustangs wont fit...I'm building a set of fenderwell exits for my small block this go round....Will probably build another set for the 390 or whatever I build to replace it later.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

meteor

Okay, so I bought my first set of mustang shorty headers off ebay, maybe not the best product, however the driver side fits great - passenger side will not clear the control arm.

I just bought a second set of shorty headers from Ford Racing (because I was told they fit tighter to the block), the passenger side fits great but now the driver side sticks out further which brings the collector very close to the steering box - like within 1/4".

My question is how close can the exhaust be to the steering box? will it get cooked? will a heat shield of some kind work?

thanks!

4banger

I run high temp grease in my box, not oil. Box vs Header has clearance for a piece of paper to slide between. No shield , no insulation , no problems.

4banger

Also , inter change the two sets you have to make it work !!! Driver side from one set that will work , and pass side from other set that will work.  IMPROVISE

meteor

Quote from: 4banger on 2008-11-20 08:57
Also , inter change the two sets you have to make it work !!! Driver side from one set that will work , and pass side from other set that will work.  IMPROVISE

I thought about doing this but I figured they would be designed as a set, equal length or tuned or whatever that might differ between the sets or different manufacturers.

Thanks for the tip on the high-temp grease.

Frankenstein57

Lots of good products available to heat shield the box, car looks good!  Mark

4banger

As long as the diameter of different brands are the same , you won't have a problem. I will guarantee you that street headers are not equal length. Equal length will cost 1000.oo and up. Don't need equal length when the rest of the exhaust system isn't the same , unless you are all-out racing.

meteor

Quote from: 4banger on 2008-11-20 08:50
I run high temp grease in my box, not oil. Box vs Header has clearance for a piece of paper to slide between. No shield , no insulation , no problems.

Is there an issue with torque? there's probably a more precise term for it, but when the engine torques is it possible that it will hit the steering box if its that close?

Ford Blue blood

Only when backing down and with the automatic behind it it won't.  The engine actually rolls away from the steering box under acceleration.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II