News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

new Del Rio project

Started by billd5string, 2015-11-02 15:41

Previous topic - Next topic

djfordmanjack

PLEASE !!!! Do NOT Remove the 312 from an original numbers matching D code car !!!
Somebody else after your ownership will be happy to get the still og 312 with the OG D code car. JMHO

Custom_Shelby

This is what I did to my project, I agree with everyone here concerning the drivetrain, keep it, that sounds like a rare factory combination for a 2-door Del Rio. My Custom came with a boat anchor 223ci straight six, so that was the first thing to go.  When at the body & paint shop, I kept the body completely stock, and also stayed with the stock color combination, when I started on the interior, I decided to change to the most deluxe available in 57, I also up graded stereo etc. was also added, thought it came out looking pretty good,  But as far as the drivetrain?  360HP Boss 302 coupled with a beefed TCI C-4 automatic and JEGS 350 ring & pinion in the 9" rear axel. Disc brakes are 1968 Torino GT and dual power boosted master cylinder, and of course changed the electrical system from a generator to an alternator.  None of what I changed, can't easily be changed back to dead stock, keep that in mind,  the 302 will drop right in with the correct motor and transmission mounts.  As you can see, I'm very close on this project, soon I'll start assembling the front clip for installation.   

Custom_Shelby

One of the things I DID change on the dash was the gauges.........notice anything different?

billd5string

It does have the holley, and I swapped in one I already had with a fresh rebuild to try to get it running. I wish I would have thought of just manually filling the float bowls.
1957 Ford Del Rio
1967 Mercury Cougar
2015 Ram 1500
2018 Mustang GT (daily driver)

Custom_Shelby

And what I did with the wheels is, 15X8 chrome with a custom offset built by WheelSmith of Corona California finished off with BF Goodrich 225/70R15 tires and the small 57 Ford hubcaps,  I sent an old set in for re-chroming, then repainted the white insets myself.  These are very rare as NOS still wrapped in paper... 

billd5string

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2016-04-20 15:08
PLEASE !!!! Do NOT Remove the 312 from an original numbers matching D code car !!!
Somebody else after your ownership will be happy to get the still og 312 with the OG D code car. JMHO

I know, it does sound wrong to pull that out. I am really torn on that.
1957 Ford Del Rio
1967 Mercury Cougar
2015 Ram 1500

billd5string

Quote from: Custom_Shelby on 2016-04-20 17:25
...  360HP Boss 302 coupled with a beefed TCI C-4 automatic ....

That's really close to what I just got done doing to my Cougar, a Blueprint 390 horse 302 and a TCI streetfighter C4. Your car looks great, I look forward to seeing it when it's done.
1957 Ford Del Rio
1967 Mercury Cougar
2015 Ram 1500

Custom_Shelby

So do I...lol.  I did a 1968 Shelby GT-500KR several years ago, but it still gets trophies!  I put a 427 in it...it's still fast after all these years....

lalessi1

Quote from: billd5string on 2016-04-20 18:09

I really understand being torn about changing out original stuff. I try to keep EVERYTHING that I take off of mine. I started with a car that was already modified so that makes it easier. My vision is "stock" inside and out, '60's style street sleeper. I truly appreciate everybody's approach but if I had a rare combo intact.....I feel your pain.
Lynn

Custom_Shelby

I know exactly what you mean Lynn, what I started with was circling the drain when I got it...after stripping down to a shell, next thing was the floor.

djfordmanjack

Don't get me wrong. I have personally owned 2 57 wagons with SBF and C4/C6 and know how nicely they drive and can be driven by anybody without special knowledge in old cars or how to use old transmissions aso. If I had your car and wanted to have daily driving 302 qualities, and you can swap in a good running engine quickly without any cutting, that is absolutely ok. But I would NEVER sell the original engine. this is not any engine but an original D code equipped 312 Del Rio wagon, top of the line.
I have had more than 30 vintage cars and replaced many engines but NEVER sold off the original. Many times I built the cars back to stock with the original engines later on, or I sold the engines WITH the projects/cars so the next owner could put them back in. I know that the 312 didn't come with a real engine number and somebody could find another 312, but try finding a complete and good one these days...you will not be able to get so much money for your old used and dirty mill now, but it would cost lots of lots of money to get a good one or decent parts, if you need to build one. I have at least $4000 in my Y block and parts, not even assembled. again this is just my humble opinion, and I just love old original cars.

Quote from: billd5string on 2016-04-20 18:09

Jeff Norwell

"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

RICH MUISE

You're moving right along on that. I didn't think you had started on it yet. Nice job on the floors.
Cancel that...I was getting confused about who's build thread this is.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

canadian_ranchero

my wagon was a 6 cyl std.the reason i changed mine out was it was almost dangerous to try and merge on to the freeway

billd5string

Quote from: canadian_ranchero on 2016-04-21 23:17
my wagon was a 6 cyl std.the reason i changed mine out was it was almost dangerous to try and merge on to the freeway

What motor/trans did you replace it with?
1957 Ford Del Rio
1967 Mercury Cougar
2015 Ram 1500