News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

T-10 in a 57 ... Which shifter lever?

Started by Ford_Crazy, 2009-11-24 06:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Ford_Crazy

Anyone out there have a T-10 in their 57 with bench seats?  I want to use the stock Ford T-10 shifter with the round chrome arm and the T-Handle reverse lockout.  Which year and style shifter arm will clear my stock bench seat?  Thanks!   :001:

57AGIN

Ford_Crazy:

My 57 Custom 300 has an after market bench seat (Glide Engineering,  bench is same as stock) I run a BW
T-10 with a Hurst Competition Plus 4-speed shifter.  Works great, looks great, definitely period correct.

Bob
57AGIN

Later today I'll see if I can locate a photo of the shifter installed.

57AGIN

Ford_Crazy:

Here is a photo of my 57's interior & Hurst shifter.  Unfortunately, when I re-sized the photo at home, it came out quite small.  Hope it is large enough to use.

Bob
57AGIN

Ford_Crazy

Thanks for the picture.  The Hurst shifter lever is straight then bends back over the seat.  A 1965 Galaxie shifter lever has the same bend.  I was looking at a 1963 Galaxie lever and it curves forward before angling back. The 65 lever is being reproduced and the 63 lever is not.  The 63 levers are $pricey...  Think I'll wait until the motor and trans are back in the car before deciding which one to use.

The Hurst shifter is the right one to use, but the look of the stock shifter with the black ball and the little T-handle brings back so many memories I just have to use it.

57tudor

Ford Crazy

This is what I ran in my custom 300 years back with a full bench seat. 312 Y-Block with a Borg-Warner T10B-1 with a T10B-7 Tail housing and the OEM shifter. I liked this shifter as it faces the driver slightly and was comfortable to shift. These came from the 1960 to 63 ford Galaxies and Fairlanes with bench seats. If memory serves me well..LOL, I used the same drive shaft that came in my car. Here are some picks for ya.

Rick.
57 Tudor.

Ford_Crazy

If anyone reads this thread in the future, this problem was solved.  To use a T-10 in a 1957 Ford with a bench seat, you need to use a 1963 Ford Galaxie "XL" shifter lever.  The XL's came with a console.  The XL shifter arm is straight and higher.  Also lays more forward than the '63 bench seat shifter arm which is curved.  If you use the curved 63 bench seat lever, you won't be able to shift into 2nd and 4th gear as the arm will hit the front of the seat.

KidKourier

Or--checkout the Hurst shifter for early Mopars ('63-'67) with bench seat! KID