News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

fordomatic

Started by zetterberg, 2010-05-21 13:19

Previous topic - Next topic

zetterberg

I have a fordomatic in my 57 fairalne 500 312.  I am wondering about upgrading to a different automatic. What would be your ideas?

Ford Blue blood

One would have wonder why?  The Ford-o-matic is a good sound transmission.  If you need a rebuild and want to up-grade then I believe the 4R70W would be a great choise.  Adaptors are available to put it up against the Y-block.  It too is a good durable transmission and is an easy swap.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

canadian_ranchero

if you swap the front pump, bellhousing and tailshaft if needed,you can use a fmx trans.with the r470w you will need a stand alone trans controller.this is a computer controlled trans 

cruisin57ford

What vehicles would I find the R470W in?  I realize that it is more than likely a GM tranny by the looks of the identification but what vehicles? 

RICH MUISE

It's a Ford tranny, first ones came in the linclon mark viii's in 1993. Most ford v-8's had them for a number of years after that...mustangs..etc. I believe the explorer had them but won't work on a passenger car motor if i remember correctly. They were a follow-up to the old aod...aode. Try googling 4r70w I did that a few months back and found a whole bunch of info including list of vehicles they were used in...Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

BAMA_57

Hey zetterberg, what did you end up with? I'm kind of in the same boat and was just wondering. My tranny shifts great but its leaking badly at the front seal. It hasn't been rebuilt sence the early '80s so... now would be the time wile its out.
Ron 
'57 Fairlane 500
'69 Boss 302 Mustang
'70 Boss 302 Mustang
'77 F-100 Explorer

Lou

I just had a new front seal put in a 57 Ford-O-Matic, cost me a $100.00 (I took trans out). Sounds to me a lot cheaper and easyer than placing the trans later model unit.

shopratwoody

FWIW i'VE HAD Ford o matics hooked to 427's that didn't break.
I hate blocksanding!

zetterberg

I kept my fordomatic. I had it checked out and serviced, my mechanic told me the tranny was in great shape and to leave well enough alone.

Zetterberg

BAMA_57

Thanks. That's what I wanted to hear.
'57 Fairlane 500
'69 Boss 302 Mustang
'70 Boss 302 Mustang
'77 F-100 Explorer