News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Clearing the fuel tank pick up

Started by RAWms, 2007-02-05 22:08

Previous topic - Next topic

RAWms

Looks like the fuel tank pick up is clogged.  The tank was boiled and re-sealed.  I think the real issue is the pick up while setting 15 years probably with some fuel shellacked(sp?) closed the pick up.  I ran a coat hanger about 8" down it but no joy.  I know there is a screen there and tried to break through it.   I was thinking of pouring something like lacquer thinner or... to break down the gunk.   Any other ideas?

Also, what is the gangs thoughts about connecting the fuel line to the drain?  There are two fuel filters on the car; One at the tank and another in front of the carb.  Not sure how the sloshing around plus up and down hills could starve the motor.

The preferred approach obviously is to unclog the pick up.

thx, r
Time working or driving your ride is NOT subtracted from your life clock.

...as of Apr 2007

57 Ford Kustom

Roger :006:
     Can you see the screen thru the gauge hole? The problem with putting a chemical down the tube is anything that will clean the screen will also soften up the sealer in the tank.  Have you tried to hook a compressor to the feed line after putting some good carb cleaner in it???? BUT don't forget to leave the cap or gauge out or when the air goes thru you will have a pregnant tank :dumbass:

T:walt:M  :unitedstates:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

RAWms

Tom,

I don't think I can see the pick up but will take an eye ball today.  With the recess to accomodate the spare tire Wagons and Rancheros used you can't see much.   The carb cleaner sounds like a good idea too.  thx, r

...as of Apr 2007

shopratwoody

Roger,
It seems like the folks who cleaned the tank shoulda took care of that. When I had mine done I had a 3/8
pickup put in. I don't know what's on the end . It seems the air is the best idea. You might loosen the crap
by using chemicals. Let us know :burnout:
Later, Ron  :004:
I hate blocksanding!

Ford Blue blood

Roger,

My Retractable tank was clogged pretty badly, nothing would move thru it at all.  Had it tanked at my friends machine shop, still no luck.  Put a length of hard fuel line on it with a small funnel on the end and filled the line and funnel with laquer thinner.  Every night when I got home from work I would tap the hard line gently to make it vibrate, add more thinner and repeated.  Took just about a week and it opened up.  If you have liner in it already it will soften it and need to be tanked again.

Bill
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

57AGIN

Roger:

When I was reassembling my 57, I had to increase the size of my fuel line to feed the 351W.  When I took the old fuel line off, it was stuffed full of sand, I haven't a clue how fuel got from the tank to the carb before I disassembled the car.

I can't remember what is involved in changing out a fuel line pick-up, but that would seem to be a good idea.  Especially since your goal is to have a totally reliable ride.  I agree with Ron that the people who did your tank should have taken care of that little oh-by-the-way.  When I did my tank, I took it to Mattson Radiator and had it Gas Tank Renu'd. I believe that process will ensure no more worries with the fuel tank & pickup.

Let us know how you resolve this one.  Isn't it amazing what pops up out of the blue?

Bob
57AGIN

RAWms

Bob,
I probably shouldn't admit to the coffee can to the fuel pump Rube Goldberg setup to break in the cam after discovering the fuel tank had a problem but...   I was afraid Ron would would come down kick my %$$ if I didn't start that thing.   BTW, do you know how many times you need to fill a 1lb can for a 20 minute run?

r

...as of Apr 2007

Hoosier Hurricane

Roger:

You might be able to take a short piece of speedometer cable core and a drill motor and use it to knock the stuff loose.  You know, like a drain roto-rooter.  I don't know how long the pickup tube is in a Ranchero, so I can't tell you how long the cable should be.

Johns

shopratwoody

Roger'
I'm happy you got it fired and broke in that cam etc... the other stuff is boring. You proly already got
that pickup cleaned out, and it wasn't any fun at all. Once in awhile you gotta do the fun stuff!! The fuel line
stuff is sorta funny. I had 3/4" from the fuel cell when racing the car the last few yrs. Back in 73 it was running
a 390 fe and going 12:70 with a 5/16" stock line. The things we do :burnout:
I imagine you're hanging the front sheet metal now....what a nightmare if it was totally dissambled.
Later, Ron :004:
I hate blocksanding!

RAWms

If you ever wondered what the inside of a Ranchero/Wagon fuel tank pick up looked like, here it is:

The fuel tank is back in and loading up with fuel.  Geeeeeezzzz. 

Lesson learned:  bawl  Check your tank for leaks and that the pick up is OPEN.  If it leaks a boil and seal for $200 is probably worth it.  If the pick up is blocked try to open it your self before boiling and sealing.  If you can't and it leaks get a new tank.  I have screwed around with this tank, in and out twice and within a $100 of a new one.  Wish I had a new one for three reasons: 1. Cost is too close to the new one for piece of mind, 2. I do not know what a local shop did for a pick up and I would bet a new tank would be closer to the original, and 3. time lost and frustration.  I'm thinking if you think you have to boil and seal your tank go for a new one.

Ron,
No sheet metal added as I took the radiator out to re-locate the upper hose connection to accomodate the AC compressor.  The AC compressor bracket is out being sectioned to lower it down so I could run a hood; I thought that was a good idea.  Installing the power windows during the down time.

r :icon_jook:

...as of Apr 2007

Ford Blue blood

Roger,

Couldn't agree more with you about buying the new tank.  After messing with that retractable tank for about a month and welding up all the leaks I put it aside with the intent of boiling once more and then treating and sealing.  Well wouldn't ya know it, there is now a repopped tank available and yes I will spring for the $375 for the new one as it will eliminate any worries and possible problems later on down the road.  Given that the drive shaft and exaust system have to be dropped to get the tank in or out it will go back in once and be done with it!  Learned that lesson with a 62 T-Bird I built, too many ins and outs and stalls and replaced fuel filters even after a boil out!  Put in a repopped tank and never had a problem again!

I also use the same approach with radiators, the best and newest go in in an attempt to eliminate problems before they start!  There is nothing more agrevating then over heat and fuel delivery problems on the road!

Bill
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II