News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Headlights, Full voltage/current circuit

Started by RAWms, 2007-02-10 22:53

Previous topic - Next topic

RAWms

Here is a picture of a circuit board to provide full voltage/amperage to the headlights.  I had read about this idea and decided to build this setup for the Ranchero.   While not set on a physical location yet, the radiator support bracket around the battery is the preferred choice.  btw, I ran all of the lighting wires out the passenger side and on the wheel side of the fender apron therefore the circuit board close to the battery.

This circuit will use the high/low beam floor switch to control the solenoids.  The solenoids will pass current straight from the battery.  The original wiring ran through the dash on/off switch, floor dimmer switch and wire line loss reducing the voltage 4 volts from what I have read.  Brighter is better with a full 14 volts at night.  The solenoids are available at local parts houses.

There will be two hot leads from the starter solenoid to the fuses.   One solenoid will be for high beams and the other low beams.The two crimp spades without wires attached will be power source to the head lights.  The top spade will be the respective high/low wires from the floor switch.   The black wire seen in the picture is to ground for the solenoid actuators.

Thought I would share this idea,  r

Time working or driving your ride is NOT subtracted from your life clock.

...as of Apr 2007

JimNolan

RAWms,
     I'd be interested in what the voltage really is that goes to the headlights. When I get my transmission back in I'll start mine and find out. I realize that the connections on DC circuits are more succeptable to corrosion but with realitively clean connections it's hard to believe that 12 or 14 guage wire would have any voltage drop to amount to anything. When I rebuilt my Fairlane I installed a new floor switch and cleaned the connections on the original wiring. The headlights are very bright. Now, if I could make a high reflective taillight bucket that would curcumvent the effect of the backup light hiding the tailight bulb, I'd have something.
    By the way, if I read a 2 volt drop in the voltage going to my headlights, you've got something. Nice layout.
Jim

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

Frankenstein57

Nice work,  gotta have something  to battle those SUVs  Mark

RAWms

Here is one site where I got the idea. Two others I used, one site is gone and can't find the other.  They talked about inserting into factory wiring and provided electrical diagrams.  One site did have actual voltage readings but can't find it now.   I may go back and use the relay sockets to clean it up more.   r

http://midnightdsigns.com/james/headlights.htm

Time working or driving your ride is NOT subtracted from your life clock.

...as of Apr 2007

briney

Roger,

Thanks! That is a nice article.  I have saved it for reference.

Patrick  :unitedstates:
Dallas TX
If it won't fit, force it.
If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway.

bagboy

I had to do that on 65 f250 keap triping breaker on and off over and over