News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

electric wipers in 57

Started by 57ranchero57, 2006-12-15 21:52

Previous topic - Next topic

57ranchero57

Anybody out there converted the vacuum wipers to electric in a 57? Can you use 59 electric motor in 57? Do you replace the motor and arms ? If anybody has done this please give a recap on what you did, thanks!

briney

A lot of people used to use the 57 Chevy wiper motors to replace the old Ford vacuum modules. They bolted right up and you were able to use the stock cable from the dash to control the motor, being that the switch was located on the motor. I and several of my friends have used and rebuild these old 57 units and used them, however based on their feedback and my personal experience have determined that they are not as reliable (dead spots in the armature) as a new unit. 

I used a 2 speed Newport Electric motor setup to convert mine. It bolts right in and uses the existing arms and linkage. The electrical is easy to run to the original switch location. The switch knob they provide is ugly, however you can change it out keeping the original wiper mounting bezel using either a vent knob or wiper knob, not sure which I used as I did mine about a year and a half ago and  the bottom line is the dash looks completely stock. These can be purchased through Concours parts; they are a little pricy.

In my opinion they are better than a rebuilt 50 year old electrical component.

Hope this helps. :coffee2:

Patrick
Dallas, TX
If it won't fit, force it.
If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway.

57ranchero57

Thanks Patrick for the reply. So this aftermarket unit bolts in the same location as the old original vacuum unit? If so, that would be OK. My project is becoming a modified restoration anyway, so I'm not real concerned with the original stuff. But keeping the dash knobs stock would be nice. I'm sure I have some extra dash knobs to use. Is Concours the same outfit that supplies T-Bird Products, are they out of California? Thanks again!
Steve

briney

Yep... bolts right in..

Patrick
If it won't fit, force it.
If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway.

bagboy

I took wiper motor right off my 55 chev,did not use it at the strip. Works great. Be sure to use plastic shim on drive shoe.

RAWms

In the mid-50s Trico made the wiper systems for Ford and Chev.  That is why the motors bolt right on.  Electric motors are hard to find today and pricey.  I took the one in the picture below apart and re-wired it and buffed it up.
r   
Time working or driving your ride is NOT subtracted from your life clock.

...as of Apr 2007