News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

1957 Custom 300 restoration video series on YouTube

Started by Dave_S, 2014-03-03 04:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave_S

I am new and have been lurking in the background for several months reading a lot of the postings here for information because I plan to buy a 1957 Ford sometime in the near future and start fixing it up.  I want to make sure I know what I am in for, you know, go into it with my eye open so to speak.  I have found lots of great information here, so a big thanks to all of you. 

I found this series of videos on YouTube the other day and thought everyone here might to watch them too.  This guy is apparently in Europe, the Netherlands or Germany I think, and he has started fixing up a 1957 Ford Custom 300.  He is posting new videos as he goes, showing actual repairs in fast motion video.  So you can see how he makes the repair up close and personal.  This 57 Custom is a real rust bucket, so he is doing lots metal replacement and fabrication.  He has seven videos posted so far with the last one posted just a week ago, so I assume more will be on the way.  Here is a link to video number one, the other should appear in the right column on the YouTube screen, or you click thru to his YouTube home page.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0A13_qp55Y

I am also hoping to start the restoration on an old 1956 Ford F350 flatbed that my family's business has owned for over 40 years.  The lessons learned here will come in handing for that project as well.

Ford Blue blood

Dave, welcome aboard.  Thanks for the link....good stuff.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

robhaerr

Hey Dave...

I was watching those clips last week, too. Wish he had narrated a bit.

You might like the silly series I did on the engine swap and such of my wagon.

The first 9 episodes are on Vimeo...
https://vimeo.com/home/myvideos

Then we picked it up on YouTube...
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLWq06-maBfWW4aNFqeF4dcm_3dh1AUHcg

Welcome to the madness...
Rob

Frankenstein57

Welcome to the forum, I got through the first 4 videos. Just shows that anything is possible.  Mark

Dave_S

Quote from: robhaerr on 2014-03-03 07:34
You might like the silly series I did on the engine swap and such of my wagon.
Yes Rob, I did like your videos.  I have watched all your videos several times over the last few months.  Good stuff.  In fact I live just a couple miles from you (Upland).  I am looking to find a Ranch Wagon for myself.  I've even gone to look at several for sale in the last few months.  Still have my eye on one...

RICH MUISE

Watched all seven...fun to watch, thanks for posting those. I like the speeded up videos, keeps them from getting boring.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

robhaerr

Quote from: Dave_S on 2014-03-03 19:40
Yes Rob, I did like your videos.  I have watched all your videos several times over the last few months.  Good stuff.  In fact I live just a couple miles from you (Upland).  I am looking to find a Ranch Wagon for myself.  I've even gone to look at several for sale in the last few months.  Still have my eye on one...

No kidding?!? You may see me driving around or at a local cruise night/car show. Hope to meet you.

If you see the band I play with, The Ravelers, say hey. We will be doing the Upland 4th of July show again at Upland High, Concert in the Park at Magnolia Park, among other stuff...
https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Ravelers/266682436238

Hope you find a wagon! Not many around these parts.

Rob

Dave_S

Quote from: robhaerr on 2014-03-04 08:45
No kidding?!? You may see me driving around or at a local cruise night/car show. Hope to meet you.

If you see the band I play with, The Ravelers, say hey. We will be doing the Upland 4th of July show again at Upland High, Concert in the Park at Magnolia Park, among other stuff...
https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Ravelers/266682436238

Hope you find a wagon! Not many around these parts.

Rob
Ahh, cool... a fellow musician!  You need a wagon to carry around your drums, I need one to carry around my collection of tubas.  I play in a couple local community bands and used to direct a youth marching band.  We used to have a pretty hot drum line.   :002:  I'll be playing in the Bandstand on Euclid Ave. in downtown Ontario on July 4th, right after the parade.  I'll keep an eye out for your wagon.

robhaerr

Quote from: Dave_S on 2014-03-05 04:32
Ahh, cool... a fellow musician!  You need a wagon to carry around your drums, I need one to carry around my collection of tubas.  I play in a couple local community bands and used to direct a youth marching band.  We used to have a pretty hot drum line.   :002:  I'll be playing in the Bandstand on Euclid Ave. in downtown Ontario on July 4th, right after the parade.  I'll keep an eye out for your wagon.

We've never had a tuba player sit in...come on! One of our guys plays sax and flute...a dueling duet would be awesome between flute and tuba. Hmmm not sure what tune that would fit...

Back to 57 Fords...looking forward to meeting!

Rob

sprink88

Part 4 on the Sweden one, at the end (8:19) he shows the brake lines. They look copper. Anyone else see or do that?

This kid is young, and his fab skills are amazing! Old rodders soul, must be
~Chris

RICH MUISE

copper lines.....I read up quite a bit on this. A lot of old school guys use them, but there are an equal number of guys(on the Hamb) that say this is a big no-no. Copper apparently will work harden and eventually crack, so the potential risk of failure, whether it be brake lines or fuel lines, is there. Not worth the risk in my opinion. With that said, what you were looking at may not have been copper however. The new Nicopp lines when unpolished, have a distinct copper hue to them. Nicopp is what I am using on the brake lines and hard line portion of the fuel lines on my '57. Nicopp is fast becoming the material of preference in a lot of automotive circles.

sprink88

~Chris

TexasFordGuy

Nicopp tubing is pretty common in Europe, it is what is used on Volvos even.  it is very easy to work with, and not too expensive. You can purchase it on Ebay http://www.ebay.com/bhp/copper-brake-line or at most auto parts stores.
1957 Club Victoria (63B)
1955 F100

Ford Blue blood

Is there a reason it is not used here?  Corrosion, softness or road treatment?  I know they used halogen lights years before the "outdated" sealed beams law was done away with, the Japanese use HID long before it was allowed here.  So the question is....is there a valid safety issue as perceived by the government or are we just lagging?
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

I'm just quoting one of the descriptions from the list that came up with Texasfordguy's link...

"NiCopp? is a nickel-copper alloy brake tubing that meets SAE Standard J1047 and ISO 4038, meeting all international and U.S. requirements for brake tubing."

I have not seen one negative remark about this stuff anywhere, so my opinion is we're just lagging behind. The Nicopp brand is made in the USA, btw. I love the polish this stuff takes, and it's formability is outstanding, but more than anything, the one feature alone that makes this so much better is the ease and quality of flaring without expensive flaring tools.