News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

1957 Disc brake conversion master cylinder choice?

Started by progoat, 2019-11-13 09:00

Previous topic - Next topic

progoat

I ordered a disc brake conversion off ebay that uses S-10 rotors and calipers. My question is what none powered/booster master cylinder do I buy to go with it. I like the stooping power of disc but want to keep everything manual. I know it sounds crazy but its what I like. Anyone else do the same? What master cylinder did you use? Thanks for any info... Bo Eagle
1957 Ford Fairlane 500
1956 Ford F100

rmk57

I used a mid-70's Granada manual disc brake master. It's been a few years but if I remember correctly I had to lengthen the pushrod. I also converted over to the brake light switch that attaches to the brake pedal. Not sure of the application for that but they all seem to be the same switch no matter what 60's-70's Ford car / truck you choose.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

hiball3985

I used one from a Mustang, probably the same as the Granada. I didn't change pushrods, the OEM pushrod is adjustable a small amount, the bolt on the brake pedal is concentric. I have no idea how well a manual master would work with S10 calibers?
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

57chero

I used a mid seventies Maverick manual master cylinder for a disc/drum setup, I also like the feel of a non power master and it stops my Ranchero just fine. I'm using Fatman dropped spindles with Granada components.

progoat

1957 Ford Fairlane 500
1956 Ford F100

ROKuberski

I used a master cylinder from a full size Ford that had disk/drum brakes.  A late '60's car, but without digging through my files I don't remember exactly.  The disk/drum unit is important because it provides a little back pressure to keep the brake shoes on the rear close to the drum.

I used the Wilwood conversion kit, but I also found that there was too much peddle effort to suit me.  I tried a vacuum boost unit, but at my altitude the 7" (the largest you can put in because of tight clearance with the exhaust manifold) unit was not doing the job either.  I now have a 1978 hydroboost unit from a full size Lincoln that is working great.  Brakes feel like a modern car.  This does require a power steering pump to provide pressure to the hydroboost unit, but I now have power steering too.