News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

1957 Fairlane Y Block

Started by chapingo17, 2022-02-16 10:33

Previous topic - Next topic

ROKuberski

Jim,

Thanks, I am aware of that.  When I was first looking at this unit I could well have installed it upside down.  Finding installed photos of the pcv valve helped.  The end that has the hose connection also has a profile that appears could be installed upside down into a regular PCV rubber grommet.  The threaded end will go to the EFI connection. 

Rich

hiball3985

Rich,
Sounds like you have the bases covered, good luck it should work that way.
Just as general info on the 4V unit the threaded end that the pipe attaches to is AN  :P
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

ROKuberski

Jim,

My engine is 2v, no 292's were 4v in '57.

Rich

KULTULZ

QuoteMy valve does not have the spring loaded check ball.  It's an empty chamber with a small hole in the end.

That is not a PCV Valve. It is a controlled metering device made for some CHEV engines that had a mixture problem with a PCV Valve.

QuoteI went with the homemade semi Ford design because they considered the long metal tube a cooling tube. I'm not sure how that science works but I'm guessing when the fumes cool the pipe the suspended oil will drop back down and not enter the intake?

Correct. The fumes are cooled and drops back before entering and fouling the valve.

IMO, you need to find the proper valley pan and use the 63/64 292 LT design. Drawing the fumes with the system that has the valve mounted in the valley cover directly will draw oil mist into the engine.

I would also not add any steel mesh under the pan as over time it will foul and you would have to remove the cover to service it (along with it possibly falling apart and entering the engine).
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

MERCURY - EDSEL - LINCOLN

hiball3985

Quote from: ROKuberski on 2022-03-08 20:30
Jim,

My engine is 2v, no 292's were 4v in '57.

Rich
I was aware of that but many of us put 4V on them. The only 292 4V I know of were in larger trucks. Thats why I could never find an OEM 4V cooling tube.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

ROKuberski

I don't remember exactly, but there is not much of a HP boost going to 4V.  And, the 2V EFI I have will pass way more CFM than the engine can suck in.  The AOD had given me more zip than more HP would.

I got notified yesterday that my engine is going to arrive a week late.  I pitched a bitch, but quite frankly, it's been so cold here that I am not spending much time in the garage.  We have had high temps from low single digits all the way up to 75 last Sunday.  22 for a high today, warm again by the weekend.  Wild weather.

Rich

hiball3985

Between performance and economy is a hard balance. I only use a 390 cfm 4V. So running on the primaries 95% of the time it is actually smaller then most 2V. Low end performance is good and mileage isn't too bad considering my rear gears, hiway average 17-18 mpg if I keep it at the speed limit, which is hard to do without getting run over..
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

ROKuberski

Jim,

I get about the same mileage with my EFI and AOD.  If I remember right, I am turning about 1900 RPM at 70 MPH.  The big deal with the AOD is that is actually uses its first gear.  The gear ratios on the Ford-O-Matic and AOD are the same for 1, 2 & 3, plus the O/D.  It kicks into O/D at about 45 - 50 mph and I run it in that mode all the time. 

It was +3 this morning, going to be 65 by Sunday. 

terry_208

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2022-03-10 10:27
Between performance and economy is a hard balance. I only use a 390 cfm 4V. So running on the primaries 95% of the time it is actually smaller then most 2V. Low end performance is good and mileage isn't too bad considering my rear gears, hiway average 17-18 mpg if I keep it at the speed limit, which is hard to do without getting run over..

What ratio are your rear gears, tire size and transmission?  I also have a 390 cfm carb that i plan to install on my 302 backed by a stick and o/d with 390 rear gears.
Terry

ROKuberski

My tires are 215-14, gears are 2.4, 1.47, 1, .67, rear dif is 3.1.

Rich

hiball3985

Quote from: terry_208 on 2022-03-10 14:52
What ratio are your rear gears, tire size and transmission?  I also have a 390 cfm carb that i plan to install on my 302 backed by a stick and o/d with 390 rear gears.
Trans is a T85 OD, rear gears are 3.89, tires are 215 X 14
I like the over all performance of the 390cfm, but at 90 mph it kind of flattens out like its gasping for air  :003:
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

ROKuberski

What is the correct valve cover decal.  Previously, I had the one that said Thunderbird Special.  I can't seem to find definitive information on what is correct.

lalessi1

Rich,
Neither decal is correct for the 292 2V. The "Thunderbird Special" is for the 312, the "Ford" one is for the 272. The correct one for the 292 looks like this....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/353246226286?fits=Make%3AFord&hash=item523f1da76e:g:xqIAAOSw5k1cbGwo

Don't know if they are still being reproduced. I know for sure. That is what was on my mom's '57.....
Lynn

oldave57

Rich,

My original 57 had the 292 engine and when I overhauled that engine and detailed the engine compartment, I replaced the original "Thunderbird" valve cover decals with the "Thunderbird Special" decals because that was all I could find at the time.  My current car has the 312, so the Thunderbird Special decal is correct for that engine.  It would probably be fine for your new engine, but if you want to keep it original, I found a "Thunderbird V8" decal on Concours Parts that states it is for a 56 Ford but it looks very much like the 57 decal that was original on the 57 292 engine as well.  The Ebay decals look to be correct but I can hardly see how anyone would pay $999.99 for a pair of decals unless the engine was included with them.

These decals from Concours are listed in the catalog at $10.50 each. 

https://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb.dll?Parta~PartSort~A0~cadefice~~~~A100~A91

Good Luck,
Dave

oldave57

Rich,

I just noticed that the link I posted didn't show the decal.  The Concours catalog does have the decal and you just need to page through the decals to find it.  The correct page is shown in this photo.

Dave