News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Door Seal Hinge Side

Started by Wirenut, 2022-06-21 21:04

Previous topic - Next topic

Wirenut

I installed door seals years ago and have never been pleased with the way the doors close, I thought given time the seals would settle in, but I noticed recently the seal had peeled off inside the area along the hinge side of both doors. I think I may have routed the seal along the hinge side in the wrong groove. I would appreciate anyone that may have a photo of the seal in place, whether original or restored that has good closure. I did not take good detail photos when I removed the original seals. I searched previous post but all of the photos I found are below the door and jamb side.
Thanks in advance

RICH MUISE

Kerby..........I just got back from a roadtrip, after a nap I'll get some pics. Several comments though.......I don't believe they "fit in a groove"....just nestled into a corner. Secondly, if I remember correctly, that 3m adhesive is basically a contact cement. Both the rubber and the door have to be really really clean before applying the adhesive to both seal and door.....particularly the rubber as it usually still has a residue from the mold release agent........release agent mean no sticky!! Is it hot down your way? lol
Also, there are other additional factors that may make the door shut hard, like new windlace.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Wirenut

Thank you Rich, I was able to look at some photos on EBAY of some doors for sale that still had some deteriorated seals and I put my seals on wrong. I know some would say how could one screw that up! Well I did. You are correct about them going along the edge. I for some reason glued them along a groove that runs just inside the edge about 1/2" but only on the hinge side, I'm in the process of removing the 3M glue, thankfully 3M makes a glue removal chemical.
Safe travels.