News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

2 Door Hardtop Rear Quarter Window Regulators

Started by tpierce, 2023-07-27 10:04

Previous topic - Next topic

tpierce

Greetings! I have a 2 door hardtop. The rear quarter windows are giving me fits. I can get them up and down, but it takes more than just cranking the levers. I have to grab the glass with 1 hand and manipulate it and crank at the same time. When the glass seems to be all the way up, then I have pull forward to get the glass in proper position. I don't know if something is broken, or loose on the regulators that is causing this. Now the left side window will go down only half way- it's hitting something about mid-way down.

I have the reproduction factory assembly manual as well as the Ford service manual. I'm looking for any tips or advice from those of you who have tackled removing the regulators and refurbishing them and re-installing them with the glass. I would hate to break anything during the process.

Thanks for your help,

Tim
I can build it to be better & faster

abe_lugo

Will watch this thread.  I have to do this same service to mine soon

I have only taken out club coupe qtr windows. 

I pulled the regulators first then pull the window out.

There are some tracks that are bolted to the inner body structure.

Then the pull the regulator. 

Once the regulator is out.  You have room to pull the window out. 
There is rubber cover on the front of the body edge you might have to pull that off to get the window out also. 

As far as the rebuild on the manual regulators
I would clean them and grease them.

You can bolt them in without the window and test them to see if they are rolling smoothly. 

On mine I'm going to the nylon rollers
Some people keep the metal rollers.  But I think king have been already changed out and are long gone.

You can also grease the track the rollers slide on. 

Are you going to rechrome your hardtop window frames?

If it only goes a certain way down, it can be an obstruction along the track. Or a roller is busted.
Abe      Los Angeles, CA  IN Los Angeles proper. 90008

tpierce

Abe, thanks for your reply. I am going to have the glass frames re-chromed. I'll wait 'til the weather cools down before I get into it. I'll go with the nylon rollers too. How is the glass frame attached to the regulator?
I can build it to be better & faster

abe_lugo

For hardtops the whole frame is a fixture surrounding the glass. 
There is upper part and the lower part
They are screwed together. 

On the bottom there is sort of a molded in track.  This where the rollers slide on. 

So basically the glass has the frame all around. 

Also the rubber seat lip is attached to this front edge of the frame, so you might as well replace that while you have it all apart.

Btw I got My glass then bought the setting tape from CWMoss in orange,ca  They have the best price per foot on the tape.  But I had to get two rolls.

It's about 20.00 for 20 feet.  But our cars are just over that near 24 feet.
As far as my estimate.

If do mine and I have left over I can try to send you the rest!

I have few interior projects on that car to go before I end up doing all the windows.

I'm just going to clean and polish my frames up as nice as possible and call it.  It doesn't seems worth it for me to rechrome, price and time and investment wise.  There are not rusty just aged.
Especially if I use the car it will get enough exposure that the chrome will go if it's not great chrome.

Where did you get you glass from and is the vent window bottom shape cut out?
I have yet to pull it. But it seems some trimming will be needed.

There are two places for glass on eBay

Auto city classics
And Bobs auto glass

Bobs prices when up significantly.

Auto city glass came through for the wagon. But on the hardtop, the set came with both door glass shattered. 

They reship replacements for free. It's just a hassle.

Abe      Los Angeles, CA  IN Los Angeles proper. 90008