News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Neutral switches

Started by RICH MUISE, 2012-06-15 08:40

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

A rookie question....
The Mustang steering column  I'm installing in my '57 will make use of the Mustang ignition switch....and built in neutral switch should I chose to make use of it. The back side of the switch has a long sliding pin that is actuated by a cable controled module originally going down to the Mustang  floor shifter (at least on automatics). Is this a good system to install while my steering column is easily accesible, or are their easier or better ways to handle the
neutral switch?
The column I purchased had the cable module in place, but the connectiong cable was just clipped off to facilitate removal of the column. I've located a replacement that is in a car that has had a lot of interior components stripped, so it should be relatively easy to pull if it's worthwhile.
Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

dgasman

Just thinking out loud but I think that cable is for the shifter lock out and not the neutral safty switch ?? Are you using a aod trans ? The safty switch is on the trans .
HAPPY MOTORING
dgasman

RICH MUISE

As I said...a rookie question....I don't really know anything about neutral switches yet..don't even know if they are mechanical or electrical. (the whatever-it-is-I-picked-up does have an electrical connector on it in addition to the cable)
You may be correct...I had totally spaced out on the lock-out thing. I don't really know...could it work both ways? It would seem like a posibility at least...I'm thinking you can't shift it out of park unless the key is on, and you can't start it unless it's in park...hmmm my brain is getting tired.
I haven't decided on a tranny yet, will be a 4r70w if I go with the 4.6 dohc...don't know what it'll be if I end up with a 351.
I posted a pic of it in James' Junk yard scores that's running in general discusion.

RICH MUISE

You were correct. I went to alldata.com and chcked it out..the cable I have been talking about is the shift interlock, and the neutral switch is electronic(they call it the transmision range sensor)and is on the rear of the tranny. Thanks