News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

headlight problem

Started by RICH MUISE, 2020-09-22 19:09

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

Hey guys, a new member sent this question to me. Most of you know I don't know didly about electrical oem stuff, so I copied his question and posted it here so you electrical gurus can assist.

"Sir. I have a question my head lights have gone out on my 1957 Ford custom the dimmer lights work is there a fuse that needs to be replaced or switch and if in fact it is to switch how do I take the switch out out of the dash I appreciate all of your information again if it's the fuse where is the fuse is it on the back of the switch and where would I buy a fuse or should I just buy a new switch thank you for all your information wayne"
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

RICH MUISE

My question is what is meant by "dimmer lights work"? low beams but no highs? my guess would be the dimmer switch, If they both went out at the same time, I would guess it's not the bulb filaments, but as I said.........

djfordmanjack

on a stock 57 Ford there are no fuses for the headlights. the fuse on the headlight switch is for the domelamp ( if i recall correctly).
The headlight switch has an integral circuit breaker. Ususally with age the contacts will burn and warm up quickly, cutting out the headlights.
To remove the headlight switch. unbolt the terminal(s) from the battery. in the middle of the swithc body ( between connector sockets) is a little knob that you will have to push in. this allows to remove ( pull) the switch knob and shaft. Now you have access to the center screw and can unbolt the switch and remove for either inspection, cleaning or replacing. hope this helps. Guenter

Ford Blue blood

Does the "high beam" indicator light up?  That will go miles to isolate the faulty component.  If it lights up that says there is power from the head light switch to the dimmer.  If the head lights come on but go off and come back on the circuit breaker in the switch is taking a nap and a new switch is required. 
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

GhostMachine

The two head lights do not work, both went out at the same time, the light below the headlights work, I guess I called them dimmer lights, they are the lights that flash as turn signals, they also can be both turned on...... I have been told there is a fuse on back of switch... and also to replace the switch... How do you take it out of the dash.... Thanks....

GhostMachine

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2020-09-23 02:40
on a stock 57 Ford there are no fuses for the headlights. the fuse on the headlight switch is for the domelamp ( if i recall correctly).
The headlight switch has an integral circuit breaker. Ususally with age the contacts will burn and warm up quickly, cutting out the headlights.
To remove the headlight switch. unbolt the terminal(s) from the battery. in the middle of the swithc body ( between connector sockets) is a little knob that you will have to push in. this allows to remove ( pull) the switch knob and shaft. Now you have access to the center screw and can unbolt the switch and remove for either inspection, cleaning or replacing. hope this helps. Guenter

Thanks

GhostMachine

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2020-09-23 02:40
The knob and shaft you talk about is the knob you pull to turn the lights on "correct"... does this knob and shaft come completely out if you pull on it, so that you can have access to the center screw.... Is it hard to purchase a new headlight switch....?? and where... Thankyou...

GhostMachine

Quote from: Ford Blue blood on 2020-09-23 07:56
Does the "high beam" indicator light up?  That will go miles to isolate the faulty component.  If it lights up that says there is power from the head light switch to the dimmer.  If the head lights come on but go off and come back on the circuit breaker in the switch is taking a nap and a new switch is required.

Thankyou...

GhostMachine

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2020-09-22 19:11
My question is what is meant by "dimmer lights work"? low beams but no highs? my guess would be the dimmer switch, If they both went out at the same time, I would guess it's not the bulb filaments, but as I said.........
Thanks

GhostMachine

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2020-09-22 19:09
Hey guys, a new member sent this question to me. Most of you know I don't know didly about electrical oem stuff, so I copied his question and posted it here so you electrical gurus can assist.

"Sir. I have a question my head lights have gone out on my 1957 Ford custom the dimmer lights work is there a fuse that needs to be replaced or switch and if in fact it is to switch how do I take the switch out out of the dash I appreciate all of your information again if it's the fuse where is the fuse is it on the back of the switch and where would I buy a fuse or should I just buy a new switch thank you for all your information wayne"
Thanks for your help.....

FiveSevenLiter

Is there a Moonshiner/Thunder Road switch on the car?
1957 Custom 300 - since 2012
1951 Mercury M3 - since 2004
1951 Ford F1 - since 1987
1950 Ford Tudor - since 2019
2009 Sport Trac Adrenalin

djfordmanjack

when you look at the pic of the light swithc that I posted. look close at the wire terminals. inbetween them is a small mushroom shaped metal knob, maybe 1/4" diam. you need to push that in and it will unlock the actual light switch knob ( on the dash insert) inluding the shaft. I believe you have to pull the dash knob first into headlights-on-position and then push the little button. You might need to wiggle the knob/shaft around a little until it comes loose. No brutal force required. If done correctly it will come out very easily.

Quote from: GhostMachine on 2020-09-23 10:35
The knob and shaft you talk about is the knob you pull to turn the lights on "correct"... does this knob and shaft come completely out if you pull on it, so that you can have access to the center screw.... Is it hard to purchase a new headlight switch....?? and where... Thankyou...

RICH MUISE

Here's a link to the repop Concourse sells
https://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb.dll?parta~dyndetail~Z5Z5Z50000051e~Z5Z5Z515327~P44.95~~~~S5VB13BDIX50261023066b~Z5Z5Z5~Z5Z5Z50000051e

If you go to the fourth board down on our forum here, and open it up, then click on "supplier links" It will show a listing of parts distributors known to carry '57 Ford specific parts. I only checked Concourse.

GhostMachine

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2020-09-23 14:50
when you look at the pic of the light swithc that I posted. look close at the wire terminals. inbetween them is a small mushroom shaped metal knob, maybe 1/4" diam. you need to push that in and it will unlock the actual light switch knob ( on the dash insert) inluding the shaft. I believe you have to pull the dash knob first into headlights-on-position and then push the little button. You might need to wiggle the knob/shaft around a little until it comes loose. No brutal force required. If done correctly it will come out very easily.
Thankyou for you help

GhostMachine

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2020-09-23 17:24
Here's a link to the repop Concourse sells
https://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb.dll?parta~dyndetail~Z5Z5Z50000051e~Z5Z5Z515327~P44.95~~~~S5VB13BDIX50261023066b~Z5Z5Z5~Z5Z5Z50000051e

If you go to the fourth board down on our forum here, and open it up, then click on "supplier links" It will show a listing of parts distributors known to carry '57 Ford specific parts. I only checked Concourse.

Thankyou....