News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

automatic to manual conversion

Started by the_stude_dude, 2007-09-11 02:56

Previous topic - Next topic

the_stude_dude

Have a 57 Bird with 245HP engine and am considering replacing the worn out automatic with the 3 speed and overdirve if I can find one. Besides needing bellhousing, clutch, pressure plate, etc. what else do I need, any mods to the crankshaft? mounts? different driveshaft? Thanks.

the_stude_dude

Hoosier Hurricane

Stude dude:

You'll also need the clutch pedal and linkage, including the rod to the bellcrank, the bellcrank, equalizer (also called Z bar) and its block mounted bracket, rod to clutch fork, return spring.  Also, the firewall plate that surrounds the steering column is different, though you could cut a hole in yours for the clutch rod.  Driveshaft will depend on which transmission you end up with, some trannys will have the same length and spline as the automatic, some won't.  You'll need the cable that actuates the OD, and the kickdown switch and relay and associated wiring.

What kind of Stude do you have.  I have a '53 Starliner with a 289 Ford engine.

John

JPotter57

Quote from: the_stude_dude on 2007-09-11 02:56
Have a 57 Bird with 245HP engine and am considering replacing the worn out automatic with the 3 speed and overdirve if I can find one. Besides needing bellhousing, clutch, pressure plate, etc. what else do I need, any mods to the crankshaft? mounts? different driveshaft? Thanks.

the_stude_dude

Jim Nolan here on this board has a newly rebuilt T85 3 speed overdrive trans and all the stuff except for pedals.  He just changed over to Tremec TKO 600 in his `57.   The OD trans is listed in the classified section...check it out...
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.