News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Tremec install download with photos

Started by JPotter57, 2007-11-16 22:00

Previous topic - Next topic

JPotter57

Hey guys, this is a really cool download.  Jim took the time to document the Tremec TKO 600 swap into his Fairlane with photos and a really good set of instructions.  I converted it to an Adobe pdf file, so all you need to read it is the Adobe reader program.  If you dont already have it, you can get it free from the internet, just do a google search for free adobe reader.  This instruction set is very thorough, and I think Jim deserves a BIG, BIG thanks from all of us, so without further delay, here it is.  Further, this information will be available on our main website in a new tech area this winter.  When I am finished revamping the site, there will be an area for common tech items, such as the disk brake swaps, engine swaps, headers, wheels tires, tranny swaps, etc.  Stay tuned.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

57AGIN

James & Jim:

Very nice description & photos.  James you will probably know the answer to this question.  How would the installation differ when mating the Tremec up to a small block 351W?  Could the Lakewood bell housing I used for the Borg Warner T-10 be used or adapted to the Tremec, or will I have to get a new bell housing?  I really do nee that overdrive gearing.

Bob
57AGIN

JPotter57

You can get the Tremec adapter to bolt up the Tremec to any old style bell, Lakewood or McLeod, whatever.  The main difference in the Tremecs and the earlier Toploaders and T-10s is the input shaft length.  If you were to do a little surgery, you can swap out or machine the input shaft, but why bother when you can just put the adapter between the trans and bell?  You can use your existing clutch and linkage.  This will add about 3/4 inch to the total length, which will of course move the shifter back 3/4 inch.  If you shuffle around a little, you can usually find a bolt on stick that will work for you.  I used a Hurst stick that was originally made for a `61 Chevy Impala with 4 speed and bench seat.  It worked great, adn looked period correct also.  Since it is a Hurst part, its not technically a Chevy part, right?  By the way, that stick is still listed in Hurst's catalog, I paid $50 or so for it, but it was brand new, shiny chrome, etc.  I also used a Pro 5.0 shifter for it, best Tremec shifter on the market, followed closely by Steeda Tri-Ax.  I hated the stock Tremec shifter, it was hard to find gears with it, and was generally very sloppy.  Once I bolted in the Pro 5.0 shifter, it was like a different trans alltogether.  If you decide to go with the Tremec, I guarantee you wont be sorry, ask Jim.
Old, loud, and fast.

JPotter57

By the way, CJ Pony Parts has that Tremec adapter, and they usually sell them on ebay, just search for Tremec, it will likely pop up, or go to their website and search it
http://www.cjponyparts.com/
part number T5AP2
Old, loud, and fast.

57AGIN

James:

Thanks for the info.  As soon as I can save up the $$$$, I know what the next purchase will be for my 57.  Hot dang, can't wait!!!

Bob
57AGIN