News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Help with transmission

Started by JimNolan, 2007-01-11 17:53

Previous topic - Next topic

JimNolan

Guys,
   I'm looking for a vender for Borg Warner T85 transmission Gears. If anyone knows where or has various gears please let me know.  I think my second gear syncronizer is going out. As long as I don't try to speed shift it's OK, but when I do it doesn't clash it just refuses to go in. Any ideas from any transmission experts out there.
Thanks, Jim Nolan
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

RAWms

You might post on MustangSteve. com.  This is another site I visit (Being a Mustang owner) and I see transmission questions often.  r
Time working or driving your ride is NOT subtracted from your life clock.

...as of Apr 2007

JimNolan

Thanks, RAWms, I'll search for that site. Jim

Hoosier Hurricane

Jim:

I think your T85 is normal.  I used to try to drag race with one and had the same problem.  Hurst did some research on that trans in the early '60s.  What they found was that the very heavy 1st gear slider, when shifting to second, had so much inertia it would overcome the spring loaded detent and try to move on into reverse.  Sometimes it would even touch the reverse idler and eventually chip the teeth.  If the R-1 gear was not in its neutral position, the interlock would prevent the 2/3 lever from moving.  That's when they came out with their Syncro Loc shifter.  I tried one, and it only partially solved the problem.  I solved the problem by changing race cars and used a FOM.  If you want to eliminate the problem, go to a fully synchro 3 speed or a 4 speed.  They don't use slider gears, only synchros.

John

JPotter57

Great answer John..My dad told me that in the `60's when he had his `57 Custom with 3 spd, that he had tons of trouble with the trans.  Killed 3 of them before he finally put in a 3 spd from a `56 Lincoln.  Said he never had anymore trouble with it until he pulled the 292 and dropped in the 390.....
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

JimNolan

John,
   Thanks for the information.  After thinking about it, I may have caused the problem myself. I misadjusted the shifter linkage on purpose because it was coming out of second gear during acceleration. It doesn't come out of gear now but it doesn't shift well now either. I probley need to fix the problem with it coming out of gear first. I've read that the detent springs get weak and let it come out.
   Changing transmissions isn't a option. The rear axle is a 3.70 Equi-Loc and I get 20 mpg now with a 320 hp 390 engine. If I change transmissions, I'll have to change rear gears. I believe I can slow down on the shifts better than I can re-invent the drive train.
   Tell me you're take on the transmission coming out of second gear during acceleration. I've never been there before and I'm transmission impaired.
Thanks again,
Jim

57 Ford Kustom

I also went thru a few trans. in 61-2 . My car had a Ansen Posi-shift floor shift conversion it didn't take too long only 4 transmissions for us to figure out what was happening when I speed shifted , and that was with a stronger spring in the interlock that came with the kit. :dumbass: :003:

T 8)   :unitedstates:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

Hoosier Hurricane

Jim:

Not only does the interlock and detent have to deal with that heavy gear's inertia because of the shift, the gear is also moving toward the rear of the car while the car is accelerating.  More inertia to deal with.

Popping out of second can be caused by misalignment between the transmission and the crankshaft. such as dirt on the bellhousing mating surfaces or cracked bellhousing.  It can also be caused by a bad bearing causing the transmission shafts to be misaligned with each other.  This would include the pilot roller bearings in the main drive that centers the output shaft in the main drive.  Also, shift linkage problems that don't allow it to go all the way into 2nd.  The last thing is your first thought, a fauly synchronizer.

John

JimNolan

John,
   Thanks for coming back. I've got a rebuild kit that a guy in Oregon found for me. It has a syncronizer, bunch of loose roller bearings, assortment of different washers and gaskets in the pack. I would like to rebuild it right. I drive this car everyday. 13000 miles last year and it wasn't even finished part of the year.
   DO YOU THINK WITH THE LIMITED EXPERIANCE I'VE GOT WITH TRANSMISSIONS, THAT I NEED A PROFESSIONAL TO REBUILD IT.
I want it right, I can get used to not banging it around but I'd sure miss the passing gear and listening to the four gear changes through the glass packs when starting out if I got rid of it. DO YOU KNOW WHERE I CAN SEND IT FOR REBUILD. Every place I find on the internet hasn't any listings for transmissions like this.
Thanks
Jim

Hoosier Hurricane

Jim:

I don't know of any transmission rebuild shops that could help you.  With a shop manual or a Motors or Chilton book anyone with a little mechanical ability should be able to to rebuild it.  Librarys often have Motors or Chilton, I borrowed one from our local library a few years ago.

John

JimNolan

John,
   Believe it or not, I just realized who you were. Double thanks for sharing your experience. I used to fly out of Anderson all the time and I know where Selma is approximately. Like to meet you and see your car sometime.
  I'm getting ready to retire pretty soon and I might as well learn something else ( transmissions ) I've got all the literature you can shake a stick at when it comes to the T85N. It's just finding the parts and taking the time to learn it. I built my own airplane 15 years ago and we've took it border to border, coast to coast for 15 years, so I should have the aptitude to repair a T85. ( I hope )
   Thanks again for the reply, if you're ever in Warsaw you've got a place to stay. Jim

JimNolan

Guys,
   Found all the gears, gaskets and bearings ( 900 dollars later ) and rebuilt the main case myself. It now shifts beautifully. Better than I ever expected. One of the best things I ever did for the car. After going through this I've decided I don't really need to speed shift it after all. I don't want to ever have to take it out again. Jim