News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Which transmission would I use.

Started by JimNolan, 2007-01-16 20:31

Previous topic - Next topic

JimNolan

Guys,
    If I did put a Ford toploader 4 speed or a T10 4 speed in my car, would I have to move the crossmember on my 57. I can't find dimension specs as far as mounting positions go. I know it'll bolt up to the bell housing of my 390, but will I have to change anything else except maybe the drive shaft length. I'd hate to get into the emergency brake cables, etc. I've already got a floor shift, so is there any specic model 4 speed that would be easy to put in without changing too much on the car.
Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

custom300fe

Jim If no one here can answer your question try the Ford Transmission forum. http://www.network54.com/Forum/260730/

Gerry

Custom 300 2dr
390 + 30
Edelbrock Heads
Ported Street Dominator, 750 DP
Crites 2" Long tube Headers
C-6
3:55 Trac-Loc

JPotter57

Jim, either a toploader or a T10 will fit in the `57 on the oem crossmember.  When I first got mine, it had a 390 with 3 speed trans, which I changed to a toploader from a Fairlane.  I never drove it, but everything bolted up like it was meant to be.  I pulled all of it out, sold all of the 390 and 4 speed stuff, and installed a 351 stroker motor with a Tremec 5 speed.  This would have also bolted to the stock crossmember, but I didnt like how the headers ran straight into the crossmember.  I ended up making a crossmember out of a 89 Lincoln Towncar crossmember, which has dual humps for dual exhaust.  When I finished it, I could drop a crossmember in minutes.  I liked it much better.  If you wanted it to mount in the original bolt holes, you could cut it to length, and use the ends from the oem crossmember on it.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

JimNolan

Thanks JPotter57,
     That's what I needed to know. I'm think I might go that route if I have any trouble shifting the T85 after the new syncronizer goes in this coming week.
Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.