News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Ranchero build

Started by Ford Blue blood, 2015-09-12 15:44

Previous topic - Next topic

hiball3985

I think 90% of the body parts trap dirt and water. No thought to longevity :005:, they wanted you to buy a new one every few years  :003:
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Limey57

Yep, those two cups almost seem to be factory designed to start the rust!  I made sure mine were well painted then I gave both a good polish to keep them water-resistant, but each time I wash it I use a sponge to soak the water out of them.  In hindsight I wished I'd drilled a small hole in them and installed some kind of drain tube.
Gary

1957 Ranchero

Ford Blue blood

Been working on getting the center consul fabricated up.  Welded in mounts to hold it and to help make it "square".  Level and center line marks got that part real close.  Made the basic frame in two pieces.  Couple of ins and outs to get things right.  Then made a template for the sides.  That went extremely well.  Traced it on the plywood, doubled it up to make both sides exactly the same and cut them out and got the final shape with a DA and 80 grit.  Glued and screwed, still have some final "tweaking" but the base is good to go.  The large holes are for future cup holders and access to the mounting bolts.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Ford Blue blood

The A/C out let is a 65 Bird part.  Have not decided if it will tilt up a little or be vertical,  Need to ponder a little before the final supports goes in.  Have not firmed up metal or upholstery for the center finish at this point.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

RICH MUISE

Nice design and execution...looking forward to seeing it finished.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

Been messing with the wiring and working on getting the engine ready to fire.  Timing is set, oil in and primed, all "wet" lines finished.  Mounted the fuse panel in/under the console, sorted the "rats nest" for routing, have the engine wired and ready.  Ran the engine wires out the bell housing bolt access hole and down and under.  Most all will be out of sight when all is done.  Slow working with the detail stuff but worth the time later....
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

JPotter57

I like the location for the fuse panel, much more convenient than under the dash.  If I had been going for a more modern approach, I would have borrowed that idea.  Since mine is very old school, it is under the dash on the far left.  I welded a bracket to the kick panel area and bolted the fuse panel to it.  It mounts high and out of the way
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

Jeff Norwell

Very very nice Bill.
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

Ford Blue blood

Found that as age creeps in the ol body just will not bend and twist as easily as when I was young and bullet proof!  Did this on a buddies street rod I assisted with and loved it.  Have finished all the under hood wiring, have the console frame finished, and just had to put on a little "bling" to enhance the smile.  7 X 15 from Summit, fit perfect.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

RICH MUISE

That's a great looking wheel....Summit brand?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

Not sure...have to dig out the invoice.  Did half a day shopping for them.  Wanted the Cragar SS style but way too expensive for the Cragars.  Ended up with the Summit site and followed the many recommendations for size from this site.  Very happy with them and Summit.  They are one piece polished aluminum.  Bought the lug nut kit as well.

Have finished the rough in console build.  Have not decided on interior color yet or whether or not to paint the metal center.  That will have to wait....
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

Ford Blue blood

Been working the wiring some more.  Made a small panel to mount a terminal board and relays for "run" and "ACC" in order to lighten the load on the ignition switch, head light relays as I have Halogen head lights.  Without the relay they would burn up the light switch.  Park lights will come on when in run.  The head/park/turn lights and the horn are run out the kick panel to the front.  Used a welding rod to hold them up.  Have the preliminary wiring for the dash completed.  Plenty of "spare" wire to terminate with plugs at their destination.  Set up to leave the wiring in place (except the speed-o and tack signals) if the dash has to ever come out.  It will come out with the center console in place, have to drop the steering wheel though.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

Ford Blue blood

and the dash.....
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

Jeff Norwell

"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

Limey57

Very neat.  I really did try to keep the wiring neat behind my dash when I did mine, but as my old school teacher would say "try harder next time"......
Gary

1957 Ranchero