News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Power steering ram '62 ford/mercury

Started by terry_208, 2022-06-06 23:26

Previous topic - Next topic

terry_208

ISO power steering ram for a 62 ford/mercury.  I am hoping to fine one that is rebuildable but if anyone has a good one that would be icing on the cake!  Terry @ (208)863-1353, calls or texts.  I'm in Boise so Mountain time zone anytime 0800-2300, for calls please.
Terry

gasman826

Just to make sure we are referring to the same part, the power steering cylinder is sometimes called a 'ram'.  Others, refer to the power steering control valve as the 'ram'.  The cylinders are available from several venders.  The control valve is another story.  The '57 valve cores are hard enough to find that several of the big remanufacturers are not rebuilding them.  Several of the little guys are still rebuilding them.  The '62-64 control valves seem to be universal with cores available and support from several rebuilders.  I bought a '64 valve core off eBay several years ago to hoard away in case I needed one.  I don't need one.  So, if you don't find a core, say the word and I'll fire up the lights and ladders to see if I can find it.

terry_208

Thanks Gary.  I was referring to the cylinder.  I had been looking at a site, Carid?, but they haven't had any, not even rebuilt ones. While doing a new web search I was able to find a new cylinder without any soft or attaching items.   I spoke with Stangers about rebuilding the control valve I have; cost is $95, if it's rebuildable.  If it's not rebuildable I'll contact you about you spare.  Thnaks.   
Terry

terry_208

I thought I had found a cylinder but it fit a 63, which is a different design.  I have a lead on another which I'll follow but doubt it will pan out.
Terry

Lou

Try Carguest Auto Parts, that where I got mine in 2019.

gasman826

Part availability was a portion of the reason I went with the '63-64 steering.  Control valve, cylinder, all the hoses, turn signal switch and even the steering wheel was available.  FYI, I had thought the manual and power steering ratios were the same.  The box is the same and the pitman arm will interchange but the ration is different for '63-64 boxes (source: ALLDATA)

terry_208

Nothing about this seems to be easy.  I found cylinders for the 63-64 but I'm struggling to find a cylinder for a 62.  I'll check with CarQuest tomorrow.  Perhaps they will be the golden ticket, I can only hope.
Terry

terry_208

I called what I thought was CarQuest but was told another business had taken them over.  The new outfit didn't have access to the 62 cylinder.  The search continues.
Terry

terry_208

I found a cylinder in Indiana.  It's on order and should be here by mid to end of next week.   On the subject of power steering cylinders, I found what appears to be a '63-64 cylinder in my parts pile. Thanks to everyone for the help and advice.
Terry

terry_208

Quote from: gasman826 on 2022-06-07 08:31I bought a '64 valve cord off eBay several years ago to hoard away in case I needed one.  I don't need one.  So, if you don't find a core, say the word and I'll fire up the lights and ladders to see if I can find it.

PM sent ref your spare control valve.
Terry

terry_208

Quote from: gasman826 on 2022-06-07 08:31I bought a '64 valve cord off eBay several years ago to hoard away in case I needed one.  I don't need one.  So, if you don't find a core, say the word and I'll fire up the lights and ladders to see if I can find it.

Thanks for checking on the control valve.  I've tried to PM you to thank you but I'm having trouble logging onto PM's.

The control valve I had was not rebuildable.  So now I'm looking for one.  Does anyone have a control valve they're willing to part with?

Terry