News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Location of fuse panel

Started by terry_208, 2022-05-09 00:10

Previous topic - Next topic

terry_208

I'm asking for members input about the location and positioning of their fuse panels.  I would appreciate any input and especially photos.  I am ready to install a Ron Francis Express Kit but find the space under the dash at a premium.  I have considered mounting it on a drop-down system along the kick panel then rotate to place the fuses into a more accessible position.

Thank you, Gentlemen.           
Terry

abe_lugo

Upper Left side above driver side lock panel on my hardtop.

On my OT '41. I added a sheetmetal bracket and floated next to where the left side of the brake bracket would be.  Think of a gusset bracket between a 90 degree angle.

Either way make sure you ground the panel like it says in the instructions 
Abe      Los Angeles, CA  IN Los Angeles proper. 90008

gasman826

I ordered my Ron Francis harness extra long for console install.  I can set in the front seat, open the console lid, pull out the liner box to have full access to the fuses and other options.

Ford Blue blood

I did the same as Gary, on the tunnel under the center console.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

left side panel for my Express kit. I opted for the drop-down panel (expensive), but it adds a ton of work, and since I've never had an electrical problem, I've never actually used that feature. Think this thru before you go that route! For that panel to drop down, you will need to have an extra foot or 18""or so on every wire going to that panel! The only way I could figure to do that, and keep it reasonably neat, was to make a loop. There is a cavity up in the dash (at the end) where that loop can be stored. I used a heavy bungee cord to keep the wire-tied loop in place.
Adding that loop makes for a bunch of work, and if someone looked under the dash and saw that really big loop of wires would look really untidy to them.
The Express kit is really top-notch, and I don't guess you'll have any electrical issues either.
BTW, a good time to consider taking Ron Francis' advice and wire your car as if it's fiberglass..........NO grounds to the body.........all grounds wired. Probably a major reason why I've never had an electrical issue with the car. I can give some advice on how to get that done if you want.
I'll find some pics of the side panel cover I made to protect the wiring panel from big feet!
I used my center console to house my Ron Francis/televork engine harness for the 4.6.BTW, the left side panel is actually pretty accessible which is why I never had to drop it down.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

RICH MUISE

Pics of the side panel cover I made are in my build thread right on the first page:
https://57fordsforever.com/smf/index.php?topic=5795.0
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

terry_208

Thanks for the pictures. They give me easily visible references.  One vehicle in my past had a simple drop down panel along the kick panel.  This made it accessible but I had to put a knee on the ground and lean in to see the fuses.  It wasn't bad but I am getting much older and this will be even more difficult.   

My next consideration was on the center hump as John and Gary have done.  My draw back there is that I eventually want to add an AC unit on the hump.  This would make access to the panel there very difficult.  It may make a console look out of place. I do like the idea of cup holders near the front edge of the seat.

I have also considered placing the panel on sliders under the front seat.  My thought with this is that I would again have to place a knee on the ground or lay on the seat to access it.

With everyone's help and pictures, I'm beginning to believe, at this moment, that under cup holders at the front of the seat is perhaps the best choice.  I should do this before I change my other mind.

Rich, I read your build thread and think it is great.  I like your kick panel, a lot, but mine are already built flat.  I have planned to run ground wires to everything as you have.  I ran two wires for my dome light before the headliner was installed.  It's not uncommon to see newer vehicles with ground problems. which I hope to prevent.

Again, thank you for all the input.   

Terry

Ranch

I got mine under dash on the firewall just right of the gas pedal.
My only regret is I wish I would have gotten panel with a four way flasher.

I guess you could have a hundred circuit board and still wish you had two more

1930artdeco

Just ordered my kit from RF and will be looking to house the panel as well. If I can make it look period what about the engine compartment?

Mike
1930 Model A Townsedan
1957 Country Sedan

terry_208

I also considered the engine area but it is very busy with everything required there.  As I understand, heat reduces the available amps? of the fuses.  That is because they are pre-heated it takes less load to caused them to fail.  I have even thought about covering the components with additional shields to hide them and protect from the heat.  I considered mounting it on the inner fender adjacent to the master cylinder.

My problem with placement of the panel is that it should be in an area easily accessible for someone who can't or doesn't want crawl around in the car to check or change a failed fuse.  I guess, my problem is that there are too many options!
Terry