Is there a diagram/schematic for plumbing a P.S. Pump,HydroBoost & Rack& Pinion?

Started by KYBlueOval, 2022-05-13 13:08

Previous topic - Next topic

KYBlueOval

I'll soon be at the point of plumbing the Power Steering Pump, Hydro Boost ('03 Mustang GT) and John Stark's Cavalier Rack and Pinion, and would like to find a diagram, schematic, drawing or directions as to what each line connects to.
I ordered the fittings from Pure Choice, so now what I need to know is the correct plumbing for the various hoses, so I solicit your experience and input, as to what each hose connects to.
Thanks
John

gasman826

a quick YouTube video with hose routing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWLdWOJrY78

Pressure hose goes from pump to booster, booster to R&P.  Both booster and R&P have returns.  On one of my installs, I have the Saginaw pump with two return fittings.  The other install, the pump had one return so I used a tee to join the two return lines into one.  I saw no differences in the performance of either routing.  FYI...high pressure port on the R&P is could be the larger port.

Pictures won't help much with the hose routing, but everybody like pictures!

RICH MUISE

I've got to run some errands today, but bear with me and I'll get you specific info since our setups are exactly the same. I'll make sure I get you info on which port on each component. Only difference in our setups will be the reservoir for the PS pump. I had one custom made with 2 return ports......Mustangs used a Y in the return lines.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

gasman826

The booster can be mounted upside down to rotate the accumulator away from the engine for more clearance.  The two booster ports on the same side:  the front one is the return to the reservoir and the rear one is pressure to the R&P.  The single booster port is pressure from the PS pump.

RICH MUISE

Gary, the Mustang unit John is using is different from your (Lincoln?) booster. Ours has a distribution block on the opposite side/top from the accumulator, so rotating makes clearance worse if anything.
John, while I'm thinking of it...when bleeding all the systems, the hydroboost will get hot to touch if the power steering side is not bled properly. The rack is self bleeding, just takes a bunch of (almost) lock to lock turns with the front end jacked up to bleed. When it's done, the hydroboost will be just at room temp.I recently read not to do full lock to lock against the stops.......it was in the instructions that came with my rebuilt rack replacement.
When bleeding the brakes.......note the Mustang master has TWO bleed valves. Not sure if was what finally got my bleeding finished, but I was sure I was just passing air from one piston reservoir to the other, so I set up a jar with TWO hoses so I could bleed both at the same time. A very short time after that, the rest of the system bled out nicely.
I'll be back shortly with more info on the hose routing.

RICH MUISE

Pics of my reservoir with two return lines, and the Mustang Hydroboost

RICH MUISE

On the above hydroboost pic: A is return line to PS pump reservoir. May require a "Y" joint in the line if your using a reservoir with a single return.

B goes to inlet on the rack. That would be the one closest to the frame, and also the lowest of the two. Hopefully a banjo fitting will seal up, as this is the one I recently sheared off when I bottomed out because I had to use a straight fitting.

C comes from the PS pump.

The return line from the rack is either joined to the Y on the booster return, or if running a cooler, run this line to the cooler, then it's return line to the "Y".

BTW, John, I've been meaning to ask if you saw a 57 red/white Fairlane in the car corral at Pate? If so, what did you think?

KYBlueOval

PERFECT! Thanks Gary and Rich, it is exactly what I need. FYI, when I bought a new PS pump, I had the option of buying one with 2 return ports.
If anyone needs the application, part number,etc for the 2 return line pump,I can post it.
Again, Thanks for your help. I'm very appreciative.
John

KYBlueOval

Rich, I just re-read your reply with  the hose routing and realized I had not responded to your question about a '57 in the car corral at The Pate Swap Meet.......Never went to the car corral. That would have added to the 22,000 steps I took that day. We called it quits after seeing about 2/3's of the vendors. This old man was tired from all that walking......About 7 miles.

RICH MUISE

Thanks for the reply. Yep, any more, just walking from the huge parking lot to the main gate would do it for me. Got another question though........I'm curious Which input shaft do you have on the rack........splined or smooth w/ flat?

KYBlueOval

RICH MUISE

Mine too. I was asking because I've got a rebuilt unit with a splined shaft. The rebuilt units are getting a little harder to find, so I thought I'd keep the one I mis-ordered and get a splined u joint to match. Then I found out a ss double ujoint cost twice what the rebuilt rack costs.