News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Noisy Rockers

Started by ACESPACK, 2014-10-24 12:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Fairlane62

I think the type of adjusting nut also matters.  The y-block rockers that had the jam nut seemed to hold adjustment better, and I use poly locks on my "newer" race engines and hardly ever have to make adjustment.

djfordmanjack

its funny how on factory specs (.019) just a few of my 292 rockers were still ticking away. Of course I am talking about old and somewhat worn parts on an og survivor engine. I replaced 2 very worn rockers and cleaned and polished the shafts.
Interestingly I just adjusted the gap by feel with the engine running, until the ticking was gone. I think it was both valves on cyl #1 and 4, the outmost if you will.
after shutting down the engine I rechecked the clearance and IIRC it was about .014 on those valves. I slightly increased the clearance by feel, it must be somewhere inbetween and now you can hear some but no excessive ticking when cold. it all goes away @ operating temp anyways. This is just make do with what you have... I gotta be cheap :003:

Fairlane62

Did you check the contact face of the rocker where it meets the valve stem?  Wear there can give erroneous readings wth a feeler gage.

djfordmanjack

YES. I did clean up the mating surface on my belt grinder. this worked nicely. It had been causing false readings before, exactly as you mentioned !