News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

La. floods

Started by RICH MUISE, 2016-08-16 17:52

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

Lynn...hope you're high and dry. Let us know.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

RICH MUISE

Anyone heard from Lynn? I read somewhere there were 40k houses flooded in the Baton Rouge area. Hope our friend is alright. This is bringing back memories of a Houston member, Acrylic Man, that lost everything in that flooding 2 years ago. Still haven't heard from him again after he posted that.

KYBlueOval

I spoke with Lynn just prior to the storms moving in...........have not heard from him since. His home , he said, is relatively high, but with this amount of water, who knows if it is high enough. I'm hoping for the best outcome.
John

JPotter57

Relatively high in Louisiana is still likely below sea level.  He lives in Baton Rouge which is where most of the worst flooding is.  I hope he is able to stay above the water.  I will try to call him later today.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

JPotter57

Just got off the phone with Lynn.  He only got 1 inch of water in his house and 3 inches in his shop.  He fared pretty well compared to a lot of the folks over there.  He said it would probably be a couple weeks before they got cable and stuff back, and he would be back on then.  In the meantime, he is mopping up and helping his brother clean up his place, where he took a little more water than Lynn.  All in all, he made it out pretty well.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

RICH MUISE

That's great to hear....from the pics I've been looking at, not too many escaped damage.

Ecode70D

James
     Thanks for calling and checking up on Lynn.    He is one of us and we are all pulling for him.   My best wishes for Lynn and his family.
Jay

57AGIN

James:

How far above or below sea level are you in Pass Christian, LA?  Can this type of storm get to you?

Bob
57 AGIN

lalessi1

Hey Guys, thanks for the concerns and well wishes! I am back up and mostly running. I lost the flooring in (4) rooms that we dont really use and the rest of my house has cleaned up pretty well so far. My wife is the executive director of the Red Cross so she has been working practically non-stop since last Sunday morning at 2:00 AM. Baton Rouge had a (200) year rainfall of around 17" while 10 miles to the north and west there was  a (1000) year rainfall of 27+ ". I recently had an elevation certificate on my house and at 40 ft above sea level it was 2 ft above the 100 year base flood elevation...I was allowed to drop the FEMA flood insurance in June as a result. I live on a 50 acre lake in a sudivision in the city limits of Baton Rouge.

Thusday, a week ago it started raining... Friday it poured all day, Saturday the rain was steady but much lighter. The lake rose probably 2 1/2 feet or so but by Saturday afternoon it was going down. I went to bed Saturday feeling good. Sunday I woke to find sunshine but the lake was back up by 3  ft or so, higher than I had ever seen it and it didn't take long to realize it was rising steadily. It rose another 3 to 4 ft before cresting around 10 PM. Beaux (my dog) and I evacuated to my neighbors where we spent Sunday night. By 7:30 Monday morning, the water had dropped 6" and was out of the house.

I spent Sunday moving stuff off the floor and I put the Ford on the median of the cul-de-sac in front of my house. Monday the clean up begun and it continues today. All in all, compared to most I feel very fortunate. Here are a few pictures for reference.

Pic 1.....Before.

Lynn

lalessi1

Pic 2      After...
Lynn

lalessi1

Pic 3....Ford on an island
Lynn

lalessi1

If you zoom in Pic 1, note the hand rails on the red brick house to the left. the water cested even with the top of the hand rails.
Lynn

hiball3985

Sorry to hear you received some damage, but a least you dodged a major bullet, it could have been worst. Last I heard this years hurricane season my be a bad one.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

57AGIN

lalessi1:

Wow, you live in such a beautiful home and in a picturesque setting.  27" of rain, I can't even fathom that much precip.  I can't even remember a year in which Southern Calif. has had 27" of rain in a year. I hope the weather Gods will give you a break for the rest of the year.  Glad to see the 57 is high & dry.

Bob
57 AGIN

RICH MUISE

Looking at how close you were to the lake and how high it was normally, I'm surprised you were't under 6 feet of water. As Bob said, beautiful setting you live in. Glad to hear you're back on line. Did your '57 have the Pontoon option?