Competition Engineering Adjustable Shocks

Started by JimNolan, 2011-09-13 07:47

Previous topic - Next topic

JimNolan

Jerry,
  Here you go. Jegs is where I bought them. I'm sure they didn't run out. Jim  PS  Jerry, these guys are telling me the reason my front end don't shoot up in the air when I hit a big bump is because I've got that big heavy sway bar up front. Your car may act different. The big heavy sway bar is the best thing I ever did to the front end of my car. You don't roll out of the seat in a turn. I wouldn't give that up to knock two seconds off my quarter mile time. I can tell you anything you want to know about building an all metal 215mph airplane but when it comes to cars I'm sunk. Most of what I find out is by accident. The adjustable shocks set for 80/20 has improved the handling of my car. I'm not recommending what I did to anyone else that doesn't have a car set up like mine.  Jim
This order will be shipped to:
  NOLAN JAMES  
  1727 BRIARWOOD DR.

WARSAW IN 46580

Order Qty Ship Qty Part Number  Description Unit Price Extended
Contents of Carton No.: 1
2 2 247-2610 DRAG SHOCK-FRONT ADJ. 42.99 85.98

If you have any questions about this order, please contact us at :

Jegs High Performance
  101 Jegs Place
  Delaware, OH 43015
  USA
  Telephone: 1-800-345-4545

Thank you and have a nice day!
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

JimNolan

Glen,
   What is a scrub? I got my tires put on today and they fit great. I took it out and ran it through gears once. I started from a roll. The engine bogged for a second and then it took off with no wheel spin. It spun the tires in second and third but when I went into 4th it wouldn't chirp the tires. So, it's an improvement. I feel confident I can get into the 15's now with my 390 truck engine. But next year it will definately be a 14 second car.
   The picture, yes, send the picture of the 63 Boxtop. The jury is still out on my 63 Boxtop. I hope I can get interested in it again. It's a beautiful car and I always liked that body style. Jim

JPotter57

They make them, I had them on my last `57 Custom.  You can look them up on summitracing.com, under competetion engineering, then shocks, then for your year and make.  They're here:  http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CEE-2610/

By the way, scrub= chevy, :)
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

RICH MUISE

Jim..Thanks for all the great info. I figure wheels/tires/and shocks will be the last thing I buy for my build, so it'll be a while before I order my shocks. I've printed out both threads on the front and rear shocks you've got going so I'll have all that info ready when the time comes. I'm going to give both of what you came up with a try on my custom...and I also have the H.D. sway bar on my front end, so the drag shocks should work equally as well for me.
By the way Buddy, you may not know as much as some about cars, as you stated, but you know alot more than most. I don't know how to tune an engine, never mind building one!
P.S....it's 53 degrees and raining this morning..a welcome change from our 100+ dry spell we had for months...especially since I picked up a 4 or 5 week job doing some remodelling of a commercial building a friend bought. tearing out walls and building new ones in that heat was a little much for this old man.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

glen b henderson

Jim, next year at Columbus, walk down the pits until you find a flat black 57 T bird roadster hauled in a old long wheelbase dodge van. You will hear more about "scrubs" than you ever wanted to know! You can also get a Miller Lite there if you are so inclined.
Freedom is not Free

F570RD

Quote from: glen b henderson on 2011-09-15 09:02
Jim, next year at Columbus, walk down the pits until you find a flat black 57 T bird roadster hauled in a old long wheelbase dodge van. You will hear more about "scrubs" than you ever wanted to know! You can also get a Miller Lite there if you are so inclined.
LMA0.....you will be talking with Jerry C.He hates scrubs so bad he hasn't talked to me for 2 years now after my friend Patty parked her truck...a scrub,with the Ford guy's at CarCraft.

JimNolan

Rich,
   Thanks for the kind words. I can say I'm smart enough to know how stupid I am about cars. I've learned a bunch off this web site. I've learned Glen wants to see Jerry C. chase a big fat guy around the pits with a ball peen hammer next year.
   My 63 is having the windows installed today and I've got to go up there tomorrow and help him hang the doors, trunk and hood back on the car. I'll be glad to get it back home after two years. I'll just leave it on the trailer, put a car cover over it and worry about it after the 57 gets it's new heads, cam, intake and headers. I think Bob has lost the race we've been having to see which car gets out of body shop jail first.
  If you ever get to an event or close to where I live you should come drive my 57. That'll give you a better idea of how the suspension handles.
  Hopefully this weekend the tires will give just enough to let my little underpowered engine get it out of the hole. I might have to come out of the hole with the engine turning more than 600 rpm when the last yellow light comes on. To tell the truth I have no idea how to launch my car. I just went up there and did it like that the first time and stayed with it. I think I'll google " how does Jim launch a underpowered 4000lb car and not make the engine quit because he gets better traction now" and see what the response is. Jim PS. Here's a couple pictures. #1. Showing the 28X9.50LT15 Hoosier tire fit and #2. My 63 Galaxie color I chose.

RICH MUISE

Perfect color for a '63 era car....I was just thinking the other day with all the discusion we've all had about colors, that the one you rarely see anymore on new paint jobs is the burgundies and maroons that every other car had for 20 years...I was just starting to miss them.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

JimNolan

This is Catalina Red. It's a 2010 paint color. It's a Jeep and Chysler color. In the sunlight it's a brillant brown. Not the dull walnut browns that you saw on 63's. I'd say it's a cross between a brown and a red. It's got deep gold metalflake in it that pops in the sunlight. Jim

JPotter57

Old `63 is looking good Jim...Send some pics to my email when you get them.  Also let me know how you like the drag radials, I think I'm going to run old style M&H Racemaster cheater slicks...Unless I take it on a long trip, then I'll put my radials on it...
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

JimNolan

James,
   The tires I got were the Hoosier Pro Street Radials. They are a muscle car tire made to get about 20,000 miles on the highway. The compound is softer than a regular radial tire and they have deeper tread to shed water. The drag radials on the other hand last 3000 miles on the highway and they are a better drag tire but if you run into rain you've got to park it. The Hoosier pro street radial is an alternative to carrying extra tires with me when I go somewhere. I read in one forum where a guy had these tires on a high horsepower car and wore them out in short order. I'm just hoping with the little 390 I have it will make a good fit.
   The fact that I nailed it from a slow roll and it didn't come out from under me tells me it's better than what I had on it. I'm going to check the lug nuts tomorrow and launch it once to see how it will behave. If I can get half way descent traction on the highway that means I'll get good traction on the strip. It's funny how Hoosier promotes these tires. They claim they are a highway tire and when you get them you have paperwork telling you they are a racing tire and not to use them on the highway. A little confusing. The drag radial sells for around $170.00, the pro street radials sells for $213.00. If they aren't good for racing they sure make you pay for their street tires. Jim

57AGIN

Jim:

I don't know what others experience is, but when I went to the strip a couple of years ago, running the BF Goodrich T/A Radials I found the following:

If I went through the water box & the tires got wet, I just spent the first second off the line spinning the tires. The strips do have super grip with all the VHT they spray the starting line with, but if the tires aren't designed for spinning them up to heat them up and soften them I believe the grip on the street might be better than on the strip.  I do know with my MT Street Radials, after going through the water box & spinning them up to heat them, they did stick like glue. 

Maybe some of the others with a lot more recent experience than I have will have some more info.  When I was racing as a kid, the water box was called the bleach box and we'd soften the tires up with good Ole' Clorox Bleach.

Bob
57 AGIN

shopratwoody

I wouldn't take a treaded tire thru the water myself. Never
I hate blocksanding!

JimNolan

Well, I'm off to Cincinatti tomorrow morning. I did launch the car today to see what would happen. I gave it gas and popped the clutch at the same time. It went up in smoke just like the 215R70-15's did. As long as it does it consistantly I might last a few rounds. I'll let you know my times when I get back. Jim

JimNolan

Guys,
  Made it back from Edgewater last night. The new tires tires seemed to help my little 390 truck engine.
   The best 5 passes I made at Columbus using 215R70-15 Radial tires with 26lbs of air pressure averaged out to be 16.178 ET's with 2.502 sec 60ft. times. The best pass I made was a 16.146 ET and 2.494 second 60ft time @ 86.02mph trap speed.
   The 5 passes I made at Edgewater last night using the 28X9.50-15LT Street Pro Raidals with 28lbs of air averaged out to 15.481 second ET's and 2.35 sec 60ft. times. The best pass I made at Edgewater last night was a 15.273 second ET with 2.214 second 60ft time @ 90.51mph trap speed.
  This tire just feels good. I come off line spinning the tires but it feels like you're pulling hard. It's a good feeling. No engine bogs, just flat out pulling. I shifted at 4000 rpm this time instead of 4500 ( I still have to drive 4 hr's back home after I get through having fun).
 Conclusion: I like the new tires because I can travel in the rain. I think it will suit my needs perfectly. But, the BF Goodrich wider tire might have done the same thing for me. I heard more than two or three guys say last night " look, he's got Hoosiers on the back". If I had a set of Drag Radial tires I think my little truck motor would break into the 14's just as she sets.
  Had a great time, people enjoyed my car. Favorite comment " you aint going to run that car are you". The people and racers at U.M.T.R were very nice and helpful. More than a few NHRA record holders in the bunch. Had a great time. Jim PS I got knocked out of the 2nd round because I broke out with that 15.273 ET / 2.214 60ft pass. I had dialed 15.52.