Previous topic - Next topic

shopratwoody

Good for you Jim,
Runs plenty good and had a good time. That's why we do this stuff
I hate blocksanding!

glen b henderson

Freedom is not Free

JPotter57

Hey, man, you knocked off almost 9/10s with just a tire change...not bad.  That car runs good for a full weight, non-stripped, non-lightened Fairlane, and with, as you called it, a "little truck motor".  390s are good runners anyway, and really dont need much to wake them up.  You have found the perfect combination of runs good, gets good mileage, and reliability with yours, plus, you can wring it out and have a ball doing it.  Great job, Jim.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

JimNolan

James,
   I think you're right. A friend of mine asked me this morning what my rpm was when I crossed the finish line in 4th gear. It's 4000rpm on the button. I shift at 4000 also. He claims its an ideal setup the way it is. The motor has over 30K miles on it now and doesn't use any oil. The back end spins at the starting line but that means I might not break anything. I really liked the last pass I made last night. The four previous runs I made I had a place to drive around the water box. It was close and they had to move a barrel for me, (they looked at me weird like I was trying to run over them). But, the last pass I made they had everything watered down and I had to drive through it. So, once I got the car straight on the other side of the waterbox I lit the tires up. Just for a second. I ended up having the best pass I made all night, and best 60ft time too. I'm thinking about doing this each time I make a pass and see if I can get more consistant. They did me like that at Columbus too. I've heard that you don't want to do that to street tires because it lowers your 60ft. time. I really don't care if it lowers it or raises it just as long as it makes it more consistant. Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

JimNolan

Guys,
   I posted a picture of the 57 at Edgewater as I was leaving the line. You can see how high the front end comes up with the shocks set on 80/20 and the big front sway bar installed. The 80/20 setting from what I can tell does nothing for the front end lift with the big sway bar ( as some of you advised ). Jim PS The ride and how the car drives now has been greatly enhanced, it'll keep the sway bar and the 80/20 shocks.
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.