News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Neutral safety switch

Started by Ron, 2017-01-06 19:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron

Does the neutral safety switch in a stock V8/auto trans '57 allow the car to be started only in Neutral?  Or should it also be able to start in Park?  Thanks, Ron...

rmk57

Mine only starts in neutral and it has the original safety switch in it. I think 1958 was the first year for park and neutral starting and I'm not sure if it has the same mounting style as the 57 switch.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

RICH MUISE

Not too long ago, I found out it was neutral only. I laughed because my first thought was that I wouldn't make a good car thief....I couldn't have started someones automatic even if I had the keys.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

gasman826

left the keys in the wagon all the time...parking brake set and in Park...no one ever stole it

RICH MUISE

Thinking about it...it actually makes sense given the name of the switch. I guess that's why it got that designation.

Ray

57 was neutral only, 58 was both.
Willow Green 57 convert
Coral Sand over Gunmetal 57 "E" convert
"M" code 1969 Fairlane Ranchero
"Q" code 1969 Torino Cobra jet (427)
Inca Gold 57 Thunderbird

Ron

I prefer a neutral safety switch that allows me to start in park or neutral, so the question becomes--can the '58 neutral safety switch be easily adapted to my '57?  Anyone done this?  Thanks, Ron

Hoosier Hurricane

Ron, it's my understanding that the '58 switch is a bolt-on replacement for the '57 switch.   John

Ron

Thanks for that.  I'll give it a go.  Ron...

JoeConlon

57 and 58 switches are interchangeable , I have one in the 57 Ranchero. Columns and steering boxes are different. Good luck !

Ron

Joe

Just to be clear, you installed a '58 neutral safety switch in your '57 Ranchero and now it starts in either the park or the neutral position?  No messing around with the wiring or contact points, etc.?  Thanks, Ron.

RICH MUISE

Exactly what I was wondering. Everyone that said the switches are interchangeable never said if that actually (pun intended) was all that was needed to make it start in Park. In fact no one ever said it would actually now start in park.

hiball3985

As far as I can remember the 58 switch just has two positions that make electrical contact to complete the circuit as opposed to the 57 that only has one. No wiring change required.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ford Blue blood

The neutral safety switch in the Ranchwagon, the 300 I parted and the Retractable all were/are neutral start only.  All three had two sets of contacts, one set for the start circuit and one set for the back up lights.  The 58 switch looks identical, installs exactly the same.  It is different on the inside to allow both neutral and park starting.  I have not seen or found repops of the 58 switch.  I suspect a 59 might do the job as well?
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II