News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Correct 4bbl carburator

Started by BP57CUSTOM, 2017-10-29 09:22

Previous topic - Next topic

BP57CUSTOM

My 57 312 engine has an Autolite 4100 carb which was on it when I bought the car. This carb is in need of a rebuild and I was wondering if this is the correct carburetor or would it have had a Holley? If a Holley would it be a 4160 and would it be any better than the Autolite.
Thanks for your advise
Barry
Barry
1957 Custom 300
1965 Mustang GT
8N ford Tractor

clusterbuster

I do know that the 57 312 had a Holley and a Carter 4 barrel carb. Not sure about any other ones. Our 57 with the Carter had a more crisp acceleration that any of the Holleys. I had a chance to drive several 57's, as I worked in a Ford garage back in the 50's

Marc

57's came with a Holley, carter or Autolite 4100 from the factory. The Autolite is a good carb.

junior58

My 312 came with the Carter but I hate it. I got a second hand  Autolite sent over by Zap (before he passed away, bless him), but the body was porous and leaked internally. I have managed to get hold of another one but the secondary shaft is seized. I'm hoping to free it up and make one good carb out of the two.
Steve McKnight
57 Fords International - NZ chapter

BP57CUSTOM

My autolite still runs fair but the choke seems to be froze up and the air adjustment screws don't seem to work exactly right. i'll probably see if I can get some new screws and a choke kit and see if I can get it to work correctly.
Barry
1957 Custom 300
1965 Mustang GT
8N ford Tractor

KULTULZ

Late info but the 1957 FORD 4100 was unique in design-
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

MERCURY - EDSEL - LINCOLN

SkylinerRon

All 3 carbs were different than later models.

All the steel lines are different too.

The Autolite is fairly simple to rebuild if you have experience with carbs. If not get a pro to do it.
(it is not the screws and the choke assembly needs a thorough cleaning)

Goodluck,

Ron.

BP57CUSTOM

Thanks for posting the pics, very good way to compare them differences.
Barry
1957 Custom 300
1965 Mustang GT
8N ford Tractor