News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Throttle control rod adjustment, Fordomatic

Started by ReddingScott, 2018-04-03 16:01

Previous topic - Next topic

ReddingScott

Hi guys,

My new Summit carb is working out just great but I find now that the Fordomatic waits until 50+ mph before it shifts into high. The owners manual says it should shift at about 35 mph which feels about right to me. Can I adjust this by adjusting the clevis on the top end of the throttle control rod and if so, do I turn it clockwise or counter clockwise?

Also, do I need to use a throttle lockdown spring? The shop manual shows one being used on a two barrel but not on the diagram of the 4 barrel.

I am using the stock throttle linkage with the summit carb.

many thanks!
Scott

Hoosier Hurricane

If the shift speed was OK before the carb swap, then the transmission linkage should be OK.  You need to shorten the rod to the carb.  If the shift speed was too high before the swap, you need to shorten the rod to the transmission.  John

junior58

What carb from Summit did you use - just curious
Steve McKnight
57 Fords International - NZ chapter

ReddingScott

I put in the M2008 Summitt 600 cfm carb and have been deliriously happy with it. It supposedly is a modern version of the Autolite 4100 that was one of the carb choices in 1957. Very good carb, easy to tune and very reasonable cost.

junior58

Thanks, thought it may have been the case
Steve McKnight
57 Fords International - NZ chapter