News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Tailgate Handle restoration - Ranchero

Started by jhicks5, 2018-04-04 09:28

Previous topic - Next topic

jhicks5

Anyone have much luck restoring a tailgate handle for a 57 Ranchero/wagon?  My handle is lightly pitted and has the plastic insert, but the colors on the insert are badly faded.  My thought was that I could remove the insert, and paint the back of the plastic, then re-plate the handle.  It is not clear to me how to remove the insert without breaking it, and that once I do so, whether I can get it back in.  Any one tried this?
Jim

gasman826

I'm working on one right now.  I bought a repop coat-of-arms several years ago (eBay).  I quite looking for a NOS handle.  I cut the hinge pins to separate the handle.  I will attempt to broach a square hole through the handle to replace the OEM hinge pin with a piece of square stock. 

I have had other hinged pieces of chromed pot-metal restored.  I have separated all of them before sending them off to the plating company.  I never asked it they could plate in one piece.  I just assumed it would be too difficult to restore the pits and buff the different stages of plating.

djfordmanjack

Jim and Gary, I have always been able to drive out the square hinge pins on my wagons. I believe it is the same handle. here are some pics of when I restored mine ( not rechroming, just leaving the og patina) at least you get to see how I refurbished the emblem. I drilled out the two little studs that are punch riveted to hold the emblem. then I drilled tiny holes, and not going through to the outside and tapped them. I think I used metric 3mm screws to hold the emblem in place, the outside chrome was never disturbed. you could as wll glue the insert back in.
with the plastic emblems I used cutting compound ( polish) to remove the faded remains of old paint. after clening wiht silicone remover I painted the areas with candy transluscent paint and covered everything with aluminium tape, which looks like the sprayed on chrome originaly used. on the outside it is hard to distinguish a NOS aftermakret or my 'restored' emblem.

djfordmanjack

I want to add, that this is in no way a restoration for show. it's just a humble way to safe some $ and keep og old parts, looking quite decent on a driver quality ride.

jhicks5

Nicely done.  Just the insight I was looking for.  Thanks for the response gents.  Jim

gasman826

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2018-04-04 17:29
I have always been able to drive out the square hinge pins on my wagons.

Thanks for the tip.  I looked closely at mine and could just make out the impression of the square pin.  Pressed right out.  Saved a lot of work and perserve the timing of the clam shell handle and the inside latch linkage.

I took the picture to send to the restoration guys for a SWAG estimate.  I didn't think to take a picture of the square pin area.

djfordmanjack

Gary, I think yours will come out fine. minor pitting and the actual handle still has crisp details in the F O R D letters and the cutout line for the bezel.
To Jim, if you have your handle rechromed make sure the shop pays attention to the aforementioned details. Among several spare handles I have 2  'rechromed' ones and they sanded and polished too many details away. they look ugly. that's why I prefer patinaed stuff over badly restored.