News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Rebuild vacuum wipers?

Started by 59meteor, 2018-05-21 14:16

Previous topic - Next topic

59meteor

I found a link to a company that specializes in rebuilding the old Trico vacuum windshield wiper motors that were used on millions of old cars and trucks, called Ficken. Supposedly years ago, they bought up all the NOS Trico factory parts, and have been rebuilding the wiper motors for decades. Anybody here use them? I am only 60 years old, so when I started driving in 1973, the vacuum wipers on my several 57-59 Fords didn`t work all that well, especially under acceleration or uphill. (Worked GREAT going downhill!) In the late 70s, I installed a 56 Chevy electric wiper motor, which was a simple, direct bolt on, however, my current 59 2 door sedan has a completely different wiper system than a 57 Ford. 1959 was the first year that Ford offered optional electric wipers, however, my 59 has vacuum wipers. I have seen the aftermarket Newport kits on several cars, but personally I don`t like how they look, and the fact that you need to change out the factory cable wiper switch. Anybody here recall how well the stock vacuum wipers worked when these cars were new? I would consider sending my stock vacuum motor to New York for a rebuild, but if they only work as good as my experiances in the 70s were, not really interested.I actually do have a factory 59 Ford car electric wiper motor, but it does not work, and my 59 shop manual does not cover the wiper motor. I would hate to take it apart and damage some impossible to find pieces, plus if I needed replacement parts, then what? My car won`t be a year round daily driver, but functional wipers would be a good thing!
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

gasman826

I've been driving the Raunch Wagon for several years with vacuum motor wipers.  With a reman'd fuel pump with vacuum pump, wipers worked great.  No up hill/down hill issues.  They were adjustable to barely moving for light rain or mist.  New engine has no vacuum pump and big cam killed the low RPM vacuum so had to change over to '57 Delco electric.  Still like the vacuum better.

59meteor

My 59s original 332FE did have the 2 stage fuel pump, but the new 428 Cobra Jet engine has a regular non 2 stage Carter mechanical fuel pump, pretty much identical to a stock 69 Mustang 428CJ fuel pump. The cam in the new engine is definatly a bit bigger than stock as well. I suppose an extra vacuum storage cannister would help some, not sure how much. I must admit, I kinda like the stock look of the vacuum wiper motor on the firewall, but function would be a good thing too.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

SkylinerRon

Ficken is the best on these. Talked to him at Carlisle several times.

The 332 pump will work on the 428.

Most of the old wiper motors had a big flap with a leather seal that dried out.
Sometimes you can soften them up to work.

Did you go to the FE reunion?

Good luck,

Ron.

59meteor

Ron, I didn`t want to use the original dual stage fuel pump on my 428, I wanted something with more volume, plus technically, since the stock 59 fuel pump has the glass sediment bowl, it would not be NHRA legal.
And yes, I did go to the FE race & Reunion at Beaver Springs PA. Had a great time, despite rain on & off both days. I spent 8 days "back East" , went to S&K Speed in New York, had lunch in Soho, and spent 3 hours stuck in Manhatten "rush hour" traffic, had lunch with Ray Barton in PA (noted Hemi race engine builder of Ray Barton Racing Engines), took a 2 hour tour of G Force Racing Transmissions, with owner Leonard Long, went to 5 dragstrips, visited 2 car museums (AACA Museum in Hershey PA, and Simione Museum in Philidelphia.) Had a blast on my vacation, I would really like to haul my race acr to the FE Race next year, or maybe take the 59 there, but 3000 miles one way, towing at 8 1/2 MPG makes for a long, expensive trip!

SkylinerRon

Rory,
It rained the whole weekend in Wash DC so we decided to stay home. First one I've missed.
Sounds like you got the deluxe tour!
Hershey is great, the fall show/fleamarket covers the whole Hershey Park parking lot+!
A GPH-110 will push enough gas thru that old pump, done that on a couple of rides.
There are some dual action pumps w/o the glass.
All you Canuck racers should rent a 6 car carrier and roll east next year!

Goodluck on the 59,

Ron.