News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Brake lights stay on

Started by rovohn, 2018-06-09 13:39

Previous topic - Next topic

rovohn

Anyone else have their brake lights stay on?
Mine do periodically,is there a higher pressure switch? Has anyone changed to a pedal mounted switch?
Cheers,John
'57 Custom 300,302/C4
'72 Rover P6
'57 Sedan Delivery

rmk57

I converted to a pedal mount switch. I cant remember the application but they should be pretty much all the same.
You will also have to source out the 3 nylon washer / bushings and also the correct pushrod. The pushrod style you
need has the flat back that needs to push against the brake switch.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

Hoosier Hurricane

John, it sounds like either the tiny relief hole in the master cylinder bore is plugged or the pushrod is adjusted too long and not letting the master cylinder release completely.  To check, when the lights are stuck on, crack a bleeder screw to relieve the pressure and see if the lights go off.   John

Ford Blue blood

Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

As far as an inside electric brake switch, I used a GM style. Just requires a hole drilled in the brake pedal bracket up in the area where the bumper stop is. Not sure what rmk57 was talking about with different a push rod and bushings. It's just a simple on-off switch with a few wires. I needed a brake switch signal for my computer as well, so I utilized a pressure switch off the proportioning valve as well. Haven't had a problem with either switch.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

rmk57

This style. Ford has been using them since the mid-60's....

Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429