News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

A/C leak tip

Started by RICH MUISE, 2018-06-24 11:49

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

Playing mechanic again this week, learned another valuable lesson.
I may have finally found my elusive A/C leak. I had replaced the compressor last month, but suspected that was a new issue and had nothing to do with the slow leak I had. Initially, the first two years, a recharge would last about a year before needing a recharge. Except for the compressor, that very slow leak had progressively worsened this year .My system needed a recharge again this week, and rather than get it to the shop to do the dye leak test thing, I elected to recharge it again.
I actually may have my wife talked into a road trip to the July 4 Santa Fe show, and getting the A/C working was a must.
After recharging the system yesterday, I noticed the Shrader valve was blowing small bubbles! After tightening it, I pulled my air cleaner/MAF off so I could get to the other one, and that was where I think my main leak was. The freon was just dripping off the valve. It took about 3 or 4 turns to get it tight and the leak stopped.
All the times I've recharged A/C systems, it never occurred to me the Shrader valve could be faulty or just even loose.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

geraldchainsaw

i had the same problem with my 2009 ranger,  had my brother in law work on it,  last year we recharged it,  this year it was gone,  but this time we changed the valves,  what look like inner tube valves,  the problem was with the main valve,  also there 2 diff sizes,  took out both and inspected them,  ,  one seemed to be wore and is the one  we replaced,  have to add,  went to the dealer and they couldn't match the 2nd valve,  weird,  so we recharged it again and its never been so cold,  so it seems like we had the very same problem.     just adding my 2 cents

RICH MUISE

Yep, sounds like it. My fittings were not oem as all that stuff was bought new a few years back. Never thought to check the valves to make sure they were in there tight when I got the fittings.............live and learn.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

hiball3985

A friend of mine had the same problem on his Focus and it turned out to be the valve also.. The little problems always seem to bite you and are the hardest to find..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang