News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

57 Country Sedan in So Calif

Started by robhaerr, 2008-03-17 10:43

Previous topic - Next topic

shopratwoody

Rob,
Looks like you found the right guy....where is he located?
Ron
I hate blocksanding!

robhaerr

Jim Sleeper is in La Verne, CA.

I don't know if he has a shop, or I am meeting him at his house. I will find out more on Monday afternoon. I will ask him if it's OK to give out his number. He said this week was all booked.

From reading this board, he could get some more front end experience with 57 Fords...

Rob

KidKourier

Rob, I'm also plagued by front end bumpsteer on my 57 and could use a good front end pro to help me out. could you post Jim Sleepers address and phone #, my 57 sounds like it sways like yours and I can say it's a white knuckle ride on the freeway at speed,kinda like driving a 59 caddy with no shocks or sway bar on the front.  Skip

dgasman

Looking at your picture of the steering linkage you will never fix the bump steer without replacing the drag link. the way they bent it for clearance they ruined the geometry of the steering . The inner and outer tie rod Assembly's should follow the line of the lower control arm . I can also see why the toe is out of spec with the drag link bent like that . I hate to say it but that looks unsafe . I don't think just changing the coils will really fix anything . These cars  don't have a bump steer issue when set up correctly  . I have used lowering springs and spindles on these cars and never have had any bump steer . 
HAPPY MOTORING
dgasman

robhaerr

From talking to Mr Sleeper over the phone...he seemed to know what I was talking about when I explained my situation and why the car sways with the toe-out/negative camber and how it is really exaggerated since I have tighten up the rear suspension with new leaf springs/bushings/shackles. I can handle the bumpsteer until I can change the linkage...but the swaying is the unsafe part.

I will get a better picture on Monday...

Rob

JPotter57

Rob, you need to hook up wth Rick and bob (57Tudor and 57agin).  The steering linkage is a large part of the problem.  Usually, Chevy hacks will butcher a good car to put a bowtie where it doesnt belong.  This is why Chevy engines with the rear sump don't work too well in the full size Fords witht eh integral engine X-member. The rear steer doesnt help the Ford/Chev crossbreeding either.  The hatchet job on the centerllink, pitman, and idler need to be done away with asap.  I realize a lot of people have modified steering linkages for years, but that is one thing I wouldn't screw with.  I have a current ASE cert in Steering/Susp, and I built my own front suspension, aligned it in my garage.  It drove straight, tracked straight, cornered well, and it was pretty low.  I used Granada spindles with `90 Lincoln Towncar coils with 1.75 coils removed.  The camber was about 2* neg, not too much, no lean on tires, but turned and cornered well.  Set the toe and it was like driving a new car.
Whoever is selling engines in SoCal has some kind of racket going....$6800 for a mild 351W?  I had only $10000 in my stroker alum. headed 427 Windsor...Once you get that Frankenstein steering problems taken care of, it will drive much better, I assure you.  Great looking wagon by the way...
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

57 Ford Kustom

It looks like a dropped drag link is needed . That is what we did in the old days , even back then you didn't bend the steering linkage and have a safe car.

TOM :unitedstates: :burnout:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

Frankenstein57

That steering is scary looking, putting a nice blue front sump pan would be a start. Mark

robhaerr

Quote from: JPotter57 on 2008-03-19 18:19
Whoever is selling engines in SoCal has some kind of racket going....$6800 for a mild 351W? 

The web site I posted with the 351W is from a company in New Jersey...their prices are pretty steep.
http://www.proformanceunlimited.com/specs/351_350drop.html

Of course, I am hoping to find something more affordable in So Cal.

Rob

KidKourier

Rob,    Try(www.SmedingPerformance.com) they're in Rancho Cordova,Ca. They have several Winsor offerings such as a 405hp/405torque for around $6,700 using a SVO Sportsman block or will build your combo to suit! they have had displays at several of the large shows,probably be at Goodguys at Del Mar Fairgrounds by San Diego on April 4th,5th,6th. Also Ford offers some nice combos on the Winsor especially when they have sales,try(www.fordracingparts.com) They'll have a display set up at Fabulous Fords at Knotts on April 20th if you have questions, also MCE Engines with Marvin McAfee who has built a few engines for a few of the car mags will be there and knows his stuff on Ford engines an will have a few examples in the back of their truck. Hope this helps a little! SKIP :006:

robhaerr

Thanks, Skip...

Oddly enough, I was looking at all those you mentioned on the internet yesterday.

A friend of mine has a stock 302 that has been rebuilt, but never used and just taking up space in his garage. He said I could have it for a few hundred. Tempting.

This wagon does not need a race motor. A very mildy warmed-over 351W with a slight bump in the idle, very dependable, sounds good, and looks good is my preference. A 400hp version is more than this 4-door wagon cruiser needs...closer to 300hp or even stock would be fine. Stock with good-looking dress-up stuff would be fine.

Off to the car show in La Verne, CA this morning....

robhaerr

...my biggest decision today will be what Rat Fink t-shirt to wear.

JPotter57

Those Performance Unlimited guys are too high.  I wouldnt pay $6800 for an iron headed std. stroke 351...you can get a lot more motor for that...Heck, I'd almost build you one and bring it to you, then put it in for that, lol...  Shop around a little, Rob, better deals are out there.  Id say for that Performance Unlimited combo, about 3000 or so would be more fair.  That is with good pistons, camshaft, and intake as well.  It can be done for less. 
By the way, a stock 302 would move the wagon along nicely....
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

robhaerr

Thanks, guys...I posted my visit to Jim Sleeper's shop to see about my steering, front suspension. See the "Steering and Suspension" area of the forum.

Rob

ranchero57

Hi Rob
I have a little input for you to ponder over.I am building my 57 ranchero and have decided on a 302 stroked to 347 with alum.heads and intake.With every thing except carb.,starter and water pump my engine weighs 375 lbs.I have already built my engine (jumped the gun a little bit).My friend who builds steering boxes tells me that if I use a 58 steering box that with an engine that light I will think I have power steering.Any way thats my plan.Anson Holley -ranchero57