News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

storing

Started by geraldchainsaw, 2012-10-06 18:19

Previous topic - Next topic

geraldchainsaw

ok,  every  winter i put my mustang out side in the weather with a good cover,  but last winter the paint on the hood, which is a flat,  i mean flat black paint,   messed up and i had to rub it out 3 or 4 times and its still not right,  and i will have to get it repainted in this flat semi gloss that looks like primer,  anyway,  if i do the same thing this year, store it outside if i put a heavy wax and leave the wax with out polishing it out,  how do u think it would hold up?  thanks    jerry

clusterbuster

Jerry, If you get it painted, be sure not to wax it for at least 30 to 60 days for single stage, and up to 90 days if there is a clear put over your new paints. The wax will cause the new paint not to breathe and cure properly. It also dulls it and can cause loss of adhesion. I was in the body and paint business for 30 years, 10 of which I taught secondary classes at a community college in Pa. You can put a polish on, but I would stay clear of that as well. CB

Frankenstein57

What he said. My painter said  the same thing, I have two coats of a polish called race glaze. Looks great. As to your storage question, it sounds like you need to get some protection on there.  Mark

geraldchainsaw

ok,  thanks for the info,  i'll add a couple of things,    the car was painted last year,  i told them to use a flat black, (and it is flat thats for sure, or was)   i've rubbed it out 3 or 4 times,  and now its kinda streaky,   IT WILL HAVE TO BE REPAINTED,   but i can get away with it for right now,   the question was,     by putting on some wax and not polishing it out,  will it help with the storing outside under a good hollywood cover ,  thanks again    jerry   

Frankenstein57

Jerry, I'll see my painter this week. We are block sanding my friends 57 custom, I'll get his opinion.

gasman826

Years ago, I had a pickup with a two stage black paint job.  I though I was protecting it by putting a cover on it.  Setting outside with a cover proved to be wrong.  The cover worked like a buffing pad and whenever wind got to the cover...it polished.  I have to clear in a couple of spots.  I use a cover with inside storage but will never use one outside again.  Storing a vehicle out of the sun is maybe more important.  $75 for inside storage starts looking pretty good!

RICH MUISE

Jerry...maybe suede 57 could give you some pointers here. I always wondered about the care and maintenance of flat paints, and I'm particularly wondering why you would want to "buff" a flat paint anyway? My thought on your Mustang hood is that how to restore the original look if posible would be based on what type of paint was used when they repainted, and how that material reacts to working after it's cured. If I were doing a hood or stripe, I'd base coat/clear coat it with a matte clear so I could clean up any spots or whatevers without actually having any direct contact with the paint....it would seem like if one was careful and used the right materials, you could "freshen" the matte finish with a superfine sanding pad (2000 grit??) wetsanded.
Just thinking out loud here, but I would think restoring the matte finish would be a matter of finding the right grit material. Something too fine, like the 2000 grit I mentioned, may actually shine it up even with no buffing. Something too coarse would leave unwanted patterns on the finish.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Zapato

Bought a bug years ago and the previous owner had a bra on it to keep it from getting road rash in the winter (gravel on the road) it did more damage from rubbing that it would have without it. My guess that its pretty much the same with a car cover rubbing on it all winter as the wind blows,etc...

We tend to forget that it was built and painted to be driven in winter conditions so sitting outside is no worse. Would shy away from one of those temporary carports, friend had one that got crushed by snowload and really did some major damage. Definitely would have been better off without it.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

geraldchainsaw

to zap and frankinstine57,        i'll wait for the info from Franks painter,  and Zap is right also that cars painted are left out all year round.   to dclear up what i meant about buffing out,   because of the wierd results from the cover and winter last year,  the flat paint looked so bad that i rubbed it out with some rubbing compound from painters supply,     before i had the car repainted,  i had painted itd myself, and used a semi flat paint,  and it was great,  but in getting it repainted i asked for a flat black,  that was a mistake,   and now it has to be corrected,  maybe next year with the new primer look,  semi gloss,   thanks for all the info guys,   won't bother u any more ,    jerry

Zapato

Jerry, we'd be lonely and depressed if you didn't bother us. And truly its never been any bother.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72