News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

mid summer maintenance

Started by Frankenstein57, 2014-07-26 18:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Frankenstein57

Bored Friday night, pulled the rear end out,  replacing axle bearings so I thought it would be a good time to fix a tracking issue, and fix an oil leak. Hope to have it back on the road by mid week.   Mark

petew

Thought that's what you did in the Winter up there !

Frankenstein57

I really should have done it then, I am chasing a vibration at 53 to 65 mph. It limits the freeway driving a bit. So I thought I would just get it done. Last winter l got re energized on my 57 project,  so this sat covered in the corner

gasman826

Serious axle bearing change.

hotroddonnie

Well you'll be glad when your finished and be able to drive it on any Hi way you want. 

Ecode70D

If you don't find much wrong with that rear end job, You  might check the driveshaft inclination after the whole thing is sitting back on the leaf springs.  When I build a car, I try to dial it in to as close to 1 degree as possible.  A lot of times that's overlooked.  If it is not right, you could get a vibration.   Jay       

Frankenstein57

Thanks for the tip Jay, I thought I would seize the opportunity and take a leaf spring out. The car has 7 leafs instead of 6. The rear is a tad bit high, and the ride is stiff. Of course the center pin bolt snapped, now I need to get 2 of those. Well, at least this stuff is getting done!    Mark

SkylinerRon

While it's apart new spring bushings and insulaters would make a big difference.

Ron.

Frankenstein57

The rear stuff is new, I'd probably have to cut the front bolts. This car spent time in Michigan.

Frankenstein57

Got the ranchero put back together today.  Pretty happy to have identified my vibration, it looks like the right side axle bearing burnt up at some point, and the owner replaced the axle. The axle was to long, it stuck out of the flange 1/4 "  when I would tighten the flange bolts it would bottom out against the pin in the carrier. So I cut some off of the axle on a lathe, and it slipped in just fine. One wheel bearing was going bad,  so I have two new ones in there now. Kicking myself for not finding it sooner, you can't take for granted . previous repairs are done correctly. Just took a nice ride 55 to 65, nice and smooth. I included a picture of my friends 53 truck, he stopped by to check progress,   mark

RICH MUISE

good to hear the Ranchero got straightened out. LOL...I won't be able to blame anything wrong on my car on previous owners. I love your friends truck..especially the red pin stripping.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ecode70D

Mark
    Good for you in finding that axle problem and also for being able to do the repair yourself.  That's what it's all about, doing things on your own.   
Jay

Ford Blue blood

Had a couple of those (previous owner) things and have no one to blame but myself!  If you want it to work right you need to check it out.  Radiators, gas tanks and heater cores are gone through by professionals.  Another rule I have is if it is rubber it gets replaced.  Just don't cost that much.  Simple but it works, of the just over 137K miles on my street rod only one break down, my fault.  The 57 wagon had a rear brake issue returning from a car show in Nashville on the street to my house, again my fault for not following my simple little rules.....
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Zapato

Quote from: Frankenstein57 on 2014-08-02 21:07
you can't take for granted . previous repairs are done correctly.  mark

You can't take it for granted it left the factory ''correctly'' to begin with either.
That's why they come with warranties.  :002:

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72