News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Just can't stop driving........

Started by Limey57, 2017-11-13 11:27

Previous topic - Next topic

Limey57

Well, it's been over a month since I checked in here and the only reason is that I just cannot stop driving my Ranchero now it's on the road!  I got it on the road in July but had a few issues with a leaking differential (new pinion oil seal cured that) and overheating (changing the mechanical fan for 2 x electric ones IMPROVED things, but still not 100%).  There's still some jobs to do, such as fitting the power steering pump and investigating the transmission (it doesn't slip anymore but I'm sure it isn't engaging O/D every time) and there's also an issue with the brakes with a slight pull to the right and one wheel locks up under hard braking.

It really is one of those cars that just makes me smile whenever I get behind the wheel, to be honest it's actually been reasonably good on fuel, I don't trust the gauge yet but I guess I'm getting in the region of 18mpg at the minute, which although a long way off the 60mpg I get from my diesel BMW is better than I expected.  Sure, it's loud when you stomp on the gas but boy does it pull.......  Even folks that have no interest in cars smile at it and ask questions, when I go to pay after filling up with gas there's always someone taking a photograph of it when I come out.

It's November now and I expected to have put it away for the winter by now, but if the roads are dry, I'm out in it, even going to the store to do the shopping or picking my daughter up from school (she loves that!).

Not done any big shows yet, but regularly attend some smaller ones which are typically at an English country pub and attract around 30-odd cars, I'll fit some bigger shows in next year, but I have to admit to missing the smell of welding and paint in the garage....................

Gary

1957 Ranchero

RICH MUISE

They are a joy to drive. I've got lots to do on mine, but like you, after many years, I'd rather be driving it. Congrats, Gary! Glad your driving it.....It just drives me crazy when someone says they spent X number of years on it and haven't put more than a few hundred miles on it. It sure is pretty.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

This is truly the hardest part of building a car.  Get the thing running and then start driving it.  I find it almost impossible to stop, tear apart, and finish a project after it is drivable!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

gasman826

I've been making a list of repairs and upgrades all summer for the down time this winter.  Still driving until the first salt.

hiball3985

Same here. I have a little list of minor things to do but spend more time on the road since the 57 has become my daily driver then thinking about the list. Not to mention the endless list of the things around the house I need to do.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Jeff Norwell

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2017-11-14 10:17
Same here. Not to mention the endless list of the things around the house I need to do.

....That's just crazy talk.
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

djfordmanjack

You're all spot on guys.
Also just got back in from taking the Country Sedan for a drive and delivering a huge packet at the post office. It's freezing temperatures already, but roads are still dry.
congrats Gary, driving is best and she looks absolutely gorgeous !!!

Jeff Norwell

No more driving for me this year.... we had our first snow fall last week and while it stayed only a few days..... the county was out with force laying down the salt brine.... UGH... But I do enjoy the winter months because I can get full shop time in when time permits...Gary.. enjoy that car!
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

hiball3985

Quote from: Jeff Norwell on 2017-11-14 13:10

....That's just crazy talk.
And the 150 mile trip I did Saturday in shorts is probably crazy too  :003:
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

djfordmanjack

Now you better stop Jim, or you might get a few hundred Northeners' smites... :002: :003:

hiball3985

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2017-11-15 02:10
Now you better stop Jim, or you might get a few hundred Northeners' smites... :002: :003:
Thats OK, I'll laugh about it all the way to the beach  :003:  :burnout:
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

lalessi1

I find it strange that we are all in different circumstance. Down here summers are too hot to enjoy outside unless you are floating in the pool. This time of the year is great for working on and driving the Ford. We don't see our first freeze until late December/early January, spring starts in mid to late February and summer starts in late April and ends in late September (pool time). I am working on A/C, power steering and Traction Masters now. High today 74.
Lynn

petew

Quote from: Jeff Norwell on 2017-11-14 16:02
No more driving for me this year.... we had our first snow fall last week and while it stayed only a few days..... the county was out with force laying down the salt brine.... UGH... But I do enjoy the winter months because I can get full shop time in when time permits...Gary.. enjoy that car!

Used to play the same game when we lived in Connecticut. First snow would come and that meant put the covers on the cars and spend the next 4 months just looking at them.
Now that we live in North Carolina I can drive year round. Yes we get snow but the local towns don't own a snow plow or salt spreader !
The state does and they marinate the interstate with rot juice but the local roads are left alone .
The snow is usually gone in a day or two and it's back to driving. I feel your pain Jeff .

hiball3985

Quote from: lalessi1 on 2017-11-15 07:44
I find it strange that we are all in different circumstance. Down here summers are too hot to enjoy outside unless you are floating in the pool. This time of the year is great for working on and driving the Ford. We don't see our first freeze until late December/early January, spring starts in mid to late February and summer starts in late April and ends in late September (pool time). I am working on A/C, power steering and Traction Masters now. High today 74.
We should consider our self's as blessed and storing a car isn't in our vocabulary. I totally understand what the northern folks have to deal with, I came from NY originally.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Limey57

The amount of salt that gets used on the roads here has dropped with the mild winters & local authorities cutting costs, but as soon as the salt goes down it won't leave the garage.

Mind you, today I had a hernia repair operation & the surgeon has said no driving for 3 weeks so I'll be giving it rest for now.
Gary

1957 Ranchero