News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Stainless roof trim

Started by Alex L., 2011-02-22 17:50

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex L.

What type of clips are used to hold the two stainless roof trim pieces on? i just got a trim clip set but it doesn't seem to include anything for those. Anyone deal with the same issue?

alvin stadel

Starting at the rear window going up the first 3 clips are screwed on, the rest snap into the holes along the rail. I;v got mine off now for the repaint. I ordered replacement clips from Concors Parts, they have a good selection and list where they go. I always bag and tag when I tare down so let me no if you need more info. Take care, Alvin.

Alex L.

Thanks for letting me know about concours parts, i found some clips there. I didn't exactly disassemble the car, one piece of roof trim came with the car in the trunk and the other piece has been secured by a previous owner using less than ideal means. So what i'm trying to say is at the moment i have nothing to compare to.

So the first three at the back screw in, Do you have to remove the headliner to get at the screw or are they under the rear window trim? Due to being in canada and concours parts having a less than stellar international shipping policy i am considering some universal clips available on ebay, They look like they might work. What do you think? Here's the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Desoto-Dodge-Chrysler-Plymouth-trim-clips-2-wide-mldg-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem483df9e94dQQitemZ310277433677QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

i have a 64B.

alvin stadel

Send me your mailing address and I'll send you a sample of what it takes, I have a lot of used ones, More than I'll ever need.  I also have some nice stainless trim if you need. Take care, Alvin

ptwood

Hi
I have a 57 HT, 63A and I am considering removing some of the SS trim for polishing etc, .. along the roof and along the 2 rear fins, 1 of the fin SS is dinged up pretty good and could use some help to make it look better..
my questions,
on the roof where the clips are screwed .. how does one get the SS trim off of the clips, and on the front ones mentioned that are pressing into holes, do these just gently get pulled out and then new ones popped back in.
the same question go for the rear SS along the top of the fin  , what is procedure to remove SS ... the clips seem to be screw mounted which I can see from inside car since I have the back seat interior panels off.. I think the same is true in the trunk, but not all are easy to reach, so does the SS pop off the clips, that would make more sense if Ford was looking out for the body shop people and not designing the clips whereby the interior would need disassembly to get at them??
Alvin If you have clips you can show and/or sell I'll here is my email address as well...  pjtomasino@gmail.com
lastly a friend's advise was  not to bother removing my SS as it is a pain..?? I am not looking to make a lot of work for myself or run the possibility of ruining a piece just to make it a little better looking... let me know your thoughts on this as well...
Thanks for any assistance
Peter

Alex L.

Removing the trim isn't that bad if you are patient. For the trim on the fins, you have to unscrew the clips that screw in which is only 3 per side i believe, 4 at the most.

If you are going to polish it don't try to do it in situ, you will regret it once your drill or die grinder or whatever else you attach a buffing wheel to slips and gouges your paint. One piece at a time and you should be fine. Some pieces have to be unscrewed at the ends, such as the doors but the front fender bits just pop right off. You may end up having to replace some clips though so don't do it without that awareness.

I'll let everyone know my opinion of the difference once i get the trim back on.   

outcruisen

Hi all.. I got a full set of trim clips.. Whole outside of the car from Restoration Specialties.. They shipped all the way to Australia with no fuss, and I have just finished using the clips today for the tops of door stainless trims on my 57A..

Not usually a high recomender of companies, but Restoration Specialties gets my nod. Everything came tagged and bagged ready to go.. and was here within a week.. Good service with a high knoledge of what fits and where it goes, they gave me a detailed drawing with part numbers on it and all. (Only clips I didnt get where for the middle trim of the front screen (Top).. I had to reuse my existing pressed steel items that worked fine).

Cheers

Mark