News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

stainless trim clips

Started by Frankenstein57, 2012-05-01 23:47

Previous topic - Next topic

Frankenstein57

I'm trying to finish up a to do list in anticipation of my first car show Sunday. We have an all Ford spring ice breaker show, just going to hang out with fellow ford guys and have some fun. I'm putting in a new carpet, installing the kick panels, rear panels, and final trim. The clips that hold the side stainless are a bit of a puzzle, The ones that you can't reach to tighten a nut down. I sent concours a sample and got the replacements, it seems that you have to pinch or squeeze them just enough so they pop into the hole and stay. Doesn't seem like a very good hold, the stock ones had rubber on the tabs, maybe a little more flexible. I have had the stainless on the car since last fall, but the clips around the wheel well were a makeshift clip I made work, so I removed the trim to install the right ones.  Anyone got a tip or a how to?  Thanks, Mark

Ford Blue blood

Mark I believe the rubber was Ford's attempt at corrosion control.  The hand full that I have used on the 65 Bird are the same configuration.  I use the window sealant that comes in a flat roll, just pinch a little off and stuff/wind it around the prongs, insert in the hole and pinch the two tabs together.  They will hold!  To remove I pry open the tabs with a flat blade and they fall right out.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

Ditto what Bill said on the caulking strips. It's made by 3m and should be found at any large body shop supply house. My guess is what looks like rubber on those old clips is in fact the permanently pliable sealant/putty Ford used. As far as the clips go, I found some nylon ones I was quite happy with..won't corrode and hold real well. I found them also at a paint shop in "wee-pacs".
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Frankenstein57

Bill, do these go on the car first? Then try to hang the stainless on them? Mark

Ford Blue blood

Quote from: Frankenstein57 on 2012-05-02 18:52
Bill, do these go on the car first? Then try to hang the stainless on them? Mark

Yes, after paint.  The stainless snaps on, top on first and a gentle heal of the hand to snap it on.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Frankenstein57

Thanks to Bill and Rich, turns out I was doing the stainless clips wrong. Put them on correctly tonight and it was a snap. Probably saved this weekends efforts.  Mark