News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Speedo drive gear

Started by quickas01, 2014-01-17 12:04

Previous topic - Next topic

quickas01

I am running a C6 transmission in my 57 Fairlane. My new speedo is a Autometer mechanical. Any suggestions what drive gear I should run on the cable.

petew

Just Google Ford c-6 speedometer gear and you will come up with a dozen or so places that sell them including Summit and Jegs. It's the same gear that Ford has used for years in Mustangs , Fairlaines and just about everything else.
Calculating the tooth count for the proper gear to fit your car is another thing. There are online calculators that can help you with that. Required info will be rear gear ratio and tire diameter.

hiball3985

Are you using a later model cable? I think when I put a top loader 4 spd in one of my old 57's I had to use a mid 60's cable, the C6 and top loader trans use a different style gear that won't work with a 57 cable.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

4banger

My top loader and now my tremec 5 speed both take the 57 cable. You just have to get the right gear tooth count.

hiball3985

Quote from: 4banger on 2014-01-18 08:50
My top loader and now my tremec 5 speed both take the 57 cable. You just have to get the right gear tooth count.
Thats interesting, I never got mine to work but that was back in the late 60's and I don't recall the problem I ran into, maybe it was just using the wrong gear.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang