News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

57 Ranchero

Started by Limey57, 2011-04-10 13:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Limey57

Painted the wheels and fitted them this afternoon.  REALLY need to get the engine & transmission in to drop the front, I like gassers but I didn't build this as a gasser!!!!

Got 101 other minor jobs done as well, you know, those jobs that collectively take hours but it doesn't look like you've done anything.

Gary

1957 Ranchero

hiball3985

It's looking really sharp, nice work Gary.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Jeff Norwell

Outstanding  Gary!
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

RICH MUISE

Gary...you mentioned the Aerostars AND dropped spindles on Doug's thread...did you ever get the engine/drivetrain put in? If so..how's your front ride height? A spindle to fender lip measurement would be nice.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

hiball3985

I thought about using Areo springs with the Granada spindles but my calculations told me it would be too low without using spring spacers and I didn't like the idea of spacers. I can give you the spindle to fender lip dimension with stock springs and Granada spindles if you need a comparison.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Limey57

Engine & transmission are still out (plumbing the brakes at the minute).  The guy I bought it off told me it had Aerostar springs & dropped spindles, but I can't confirm what spindles they are or how much they're dropped.  I'll remove a wheel an take a few photos in the week to see if someone can confirm if they're dropped.
Gary

1957 Ranchero

JPotter57

Excellent work Gary...
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

Limey57

Keep forgetting to update this......  The end is in sight, but there's always so many small bits & pieces to do!

Class III style hitch installed, managed to find a supplier of English sized (50mm) hitch balls to suit the US style fitting, a 2" ball is only slightly bigger but just enough to stop it coupling:

Steering wheel, I was after an original wheel and eventually found one locally, but it needed help!

The round boss on the back was badly damaged, only a third was remaining:

I removed the good remaining piece and cast it into soft resin, once cured, cut the mould in half to give a two-piece mould tool:

I then used a chopped glass-strand resin to cast up two replacement parts, these were trimmed and bonded into place:

Any large cracks were ground out and given the same treatment:

The whole lot was then flatted, epoxy primed & glossed:

Gary

1957 Ranchero

Ecode70D

Gary
      Your Ranchero looks great and so does your steering wheel.   You didn't have much to start  with.   You did a great job of making that missing piece.
What do you have for an engine?   

Limey57

Quote from: Ecode70D on 2017-02-18 16:45

What do you have for an engine?   

A '79 302.  Collected it last week from the machine shop, it's been fully rebuilt & balanced with a 40 thou re-bore.  Just started building it back up, I've got a set of aluminum heads to go on with an Edlebrock performer inlet & 600cfm car.  Got to wait for (yet another!) Summit order to arrive, it's when you get to the end you notice all the bits & pieces that are missing.
Gary

1957 Ranchero

gasman826

MAN!!!!!!  That steering wheel effort was something.  I was feeling all cool fixing a bunch for cracks in five or six wheels.  I threw better ones away.  Who knew I could have sent them to England!

RICH MUISE

Wow, great save, Limey!!

Ford Blue blood

That is some kind of work!  Just outstanding!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Marc

Wow! You've done a ton of incredible work on that Ranchero! It really looks great.

RICH MUISE

The materials look like dental lab stuff.