News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Borgeson power steering box

Started by hogwagon, 2012-05-20 23:37

Previous topic - Next topic

hogwagon

Ordered Borgeson box from Summit on Monday and it showed up on Thursday so while the engine is out I put it together today. The box did not fit flush against the frame. As it is made up from another vehicle application and a mount is welded to it, a small area of the cut off mount on the box interfered at a point so with much anxiety with a hand grinder I cleaned it up and it mounted up flush. The pitman arm lines up and fits well. The work seems to be the column. Glad I did this in an empty engine bay. Several test fits to get where I wanted it.
   Our plan was to keep the original column and 3 speed shifter arm used to work an AOD trans. We stripped a 1987 Crown Vic wagon for the convertion and I used a lot of part to do this. The '87 wagon had an extention shaft from the column to the steering box with a rag joint. It fits the Borgeson unit and when the tubing that it is welded to is cut it fits over the original 57 steering shaft cut off of the original manual box so a little more cut and fit I can weld it together. The outside dimension of the rag joint shaft is 1" and the inside of a stock 57 column looks about 1.375 which I will mic and cut a bushing out of Teflon or I may have a piece of Deleon.
The Bogeson box almost comes in the car so I have cut about 8" off of the column so far. The stock floor plates may not make it and the column will need some support closer to or possibly at the floor.
  The factory column drop is broken as is normal and due to the design I can understand so I will machine one out of aluminum and paint it. The detente plate was taken off of the '87 and I am working on incorporating it on the stock 3 speed shaft.
I will post more as I complete some of these pieces. Maybe some of this will help here. I like the Borgeson unit so far and understand why a lot of people use an aftermarket or late model column. I just had to do it this way as a challenge.