News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

shaved door handles

Started by jimperrin, 2011-07-28 14:42

Previous topic - Next topic

jimperrin

If anyone has shaved their door handles on a 57 please tell me how you installed the solenoids.  I got a kit from Electric life with 60 lb solenoids and hooked it up to the inside handle opening rod but the solenoid doesn't seem to be able to overcome the return springs and unlatch the door.  Should I be using stronger solenoids? Any help would sure be appreciated.

Sincerely,

Jim Perrin

ragtop

the solenoid is mounted at the bottom of the door and has a cable that goes up to a hole you drill in the latch and you have to put a pulley on the latch so it all clears the window I have done 10 or more all work good you don't want it to the inside latch handle because if you lock your car it will still open I'm doing a convertible now with door and trunk solenoids

jimperrin

Thanks for the info.  When you say "put the solenoid at the botton of the door";  Do you locate it directly below the latch?

RICH MUISE

Ragtop...some pics would be great...especially for me on the trunk solenoid. I was going to run a manual cable or cord to the cabin under the rear seat, but a solenoid may be an easier way. Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Jeff Norwell

Kinda off topic... but I always thought of using a  lincoln door buttons.... kind of a custom touch, if you were so inclined to do so.....
really cleans up the door and adds a nice touch.

"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

RICH MUISE

Those ARE neat looking buttons. Jeff..what year lincolns are they from? Wre you thinking of using these in place of the handle/button..in other words, just a button instead of a handle?  Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Jeff Norwell

I dunno what year Rich.... I think around '37(?)..A guy over on the Hamb is making them..pretty slick.
I have been toying with the idea of using them,but....I am pretty traditional.Sounds crazy.. but if I have an extra set of doors... Then I would definitely use them.
If you ever catch me putting 20 inchers and bling bling on my 57.....you have my permission to put a hit on me......
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

cool57

Those buttons are keen. I bought a set for a shoebox, then sold the car. I'll use them someday. :burnout:

Zapato

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2011-08-01 08:18
Ragtop...some pics would be great...especially for me on the trunk solenoid. I was going to run a manual cable or cord to the cabin under the rear seat, but a solenoid may be an easier way. Rich

Rich, search the boneyards and you'll find some nice neat little trunk solenoids. I have one from a full size ford. grab the trunk switch that is usually found in the glovebox. Solenoid is about the size of a chapstick attached to the latch.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

shopratwoody

I think those door buttons were used till '48. I'm with Jeff on the wheels.
I hate blocksanding!

Zapato

I did this "back in the day" and used VW bug 6 volt starter starter solenoids. After having much fun trying to get in the car caused by a dead battery I added a pair of remote posts so that I could charge/jump the battery. Until that was complete just left wing window unlocked. With the hood release being inside the car you need to plan ahead.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72