News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Sloppy Hinges

Started by petew, 2013-11-09 10:51

Previous topic - Next topic

petew

I pulled the doors off my car the other day and found that some of the hinges had a little more play than I would like to see. After driving the pins out I was surprised to see that the bushings were plastic not brass.
I was even more surprised to see that the 56 year old plastic bushings were still intact.
So what to replace them with ? A quick measurement showed the pin to be .345 OD and that the old bushing was about .415 OD. Off to the auto parts store where I was able to source some perfect brass replacements under the Dorman part # 38375 which measure .345 on the ID and .420 on the OD
They fit perfectly and now the hinges move freely but have no more play. Just thought I would pass the info along.

57 imposter

Great information. My doors are going to come off and I don't even plan to look at the bushings. They will get replaced no matter if  they are good or bad and you just made that process easier.

65kcode

That is great information, thanks for sharing the part number, I'll have to go grab some!

Kevin

RICH MUISE

Yep...fortunatly for once a cheap and easy fix. Did mine a few years ago. I was surprised to find the bronze bushings and the pins an on-the-shelf item at O'reilly's
A hint for you guys working on hinges..you don't want to get them mixed up, and if your stripping and repainting don't rely on tags. I metal stamped mine, both pieces, where it doesn't show when installed. tl, tr, etc.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

petew

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2013-11-09 17:55
Yep...fortunatly for once a cheap and easy fix. Did mine a few years ago. I was surprised to find the bronze bushings and the pins an on-the-shelf item at O'reilly's
A hint for you guys working on hinges..you don't want to get them mixed up, and if your stripping and repainting don't rely on tags. I metal stamped mine, both pieces, where it doesn't show when installed. tl, tr, etc.

Yes sir, pictures, stamping and I do them one at a time. Like doing a brake job I leave one intact while I work on the other.

Frankenstein57

I bought a kit from one of the parts suppliers, and had stuff I didn't need in it, must have been a different model

SkylinerRon

Another tip, if your doors don't need adjustment.
Drill 1/8th inch hole thru the hinges and the door and also thru the hinges and cowl and you can use the drillbit to realign the doors upon reassembly.

Ron.

Jeff Norwell

"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

gasman826

Quote from: Frankenstein57 on 2013-11-09 19:38
I bought a kit from one of the parts suppliers, and had stuff I didn't need in it, must have been a different model

Did the 'kit' have the plastic detents?

Frankenstein57

I think it had springs in it, the bushings and pins were correct

gasman826

I haven't seen the detents.  If someone has a line on those...shout out!

RICH MUISE

Don't think I've ever seen them anywhere..distributors or ebay. I'll have to try and find my pics I took when refinishing...I'm curious if the right and left side detent pieces are the same. If so, right sides gotta be like the latches...whole lot less wear and tear on them.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe