News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Side Glass

Started by wighty, 2014-02-12 10:33

Previous topic - Next topic

wighty

I am starting the project of putting in new glass in my Custom 300 2 door. I am a little unsure of the glass runs and anti-rattle parts that I need for the doors and quarter windows.  I think that there is a schematic somewhere on this site that lists all of the parts, but I can't find it.  I am trying to get some information from Jerry's Classic Cars.  They have an 8 piece anti-rattle kit, part number B7A-214523-70K, but I am not sure if this is all that I need.  Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Wighty

RICH MUISE

Wighty: I never did the channels for the rear glass, as I replaced the roll-up rear windows with stationary ala business coupe style, but we did do a long thread on the front windows:
http://57fordsforever.com/smf/index.php?topic=1405.msg7647#msg7647
If you're looking to do a complete makeover of the window sealing/guide hardware, you'll also need the channels and the vent window back strip..the referenced thread will point out the vent window strip and the side window front channel are all riveted together with the support post, so they need to be done at the same time.
Any questions, let us know.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Bud

Here's an idea you might want to consider if, like me, you're not too keen on removing the old rivets from the forward (opposite vent glass) window channel in order to replace the "fuzzie" window runner.  For my '57 Ranchero I decided to think outside the box and went to Joann, a retail material store here in the Los Angeles area.  There I found a foam-backed felt. For a whopping $4 I glued this into the forward window channel (after cleaning out the old fuzzie material) and trimmed it with a razer blade.  Believe it or not, you can barely tell the difference between this and the expensive, original "fuzzie" material which comes with the new, solid replacement channel, which requires new rivets.  Anyway, just food for thought.