News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Shift Tube re-assembly problem - Fordomatic

Started by jhicks5, 2019-10-14 16:31

Previous topic - Next topic

jhicks5

I am puzzled by a clearance issue while trying to re-assemble the column on my '57 Ranchero.  I am actually re-building the column out of a '58 with a Fordomatic, so I suppose I should go to 58fordsforever.com.  However, since that does not exist, and knowing many others have made the same swap, I'll give it a try here. 

I am pretty sure the main column tube, shift tube and related parts are the same for the Fordomatic in 1957 and 1958.    I have the parts manuals and the numbers generally seem to support this.  And yes, I understand the steering box/shaft assembly are different in '57 and '58, but that does not appear to be relevant to my current problem.

At the lower end of the column, the lower shift tube support bracket bolts into 2 slots cut into the column, so that is fixed and cannot be adjusted.
The shift arm (which receives the rod that runs to the transmission) attaches to the shift tube via a drive pin, so that is fixed and cannot be adjusted.

Therefore my clearance problem is in the upper end of the column, and apparently in the cup and spring assembly that works with the shift lever at the top of the tube.  When the 2 cups and spring are not installed, the steering tube flange (Ford base #3511) screws to the main column tube perfectly, securing the shift tube to the main tube.  Clearances seem perfect and everything moves as it should.  But when the cups are installed (with or without the spring) the steering wheel collar cannot be screwed on to the main tube.  The spring in the shift tube in compressed to the point where the cups appear to touch, leaving about 1/4" gap between the collar and the main tube bracket. 

A couple relevant numbers:
Shift Tube - B7A-7209-B     Same for 1957 and 1958 - 27 15/32" long
Shift tube spring and cups - C1AZ-7C230-A  Same for 1952 Ford and after.  Cups are .58" deep. 
Steering Tube flange 1956/57= B6A-3511-A       1958= B8A-3511-A
Main column tube - 1957 =B7A-3514-A   1958=B8A-3514-A - I suspect the difference in the columns might just be the extra holes drilled to mount the  wire conduit on the outside of the 1958 tube.  But, it is possible they are of slightly different length.  It seems unlikely since the shift tube in the same both years.

I bought this (1958) column from a wrecking yard out of state, and the shift lever was not entirely attached (the retainer pin was not in place and the lever was partially inserted into the shift tube arm).  I suppose there is a small possibility that someone else had incorrectly mated similar but different parts from 1956-59 Fords and failed, and I got the mismatched mess. The one part that might make a difference is the 3511.  If the offset is different, it could make a 1/4" difference.  In my pre-disassembly photos, the grime and rust appear uniform and undisturbed on the whole unit, except for on the steering tube flange (3511), which has been wiped clean. 

In the end I could probably cut a couple slots 1/4" down the main tube and solve my problem, but before going to the trouble I thought I would try to see if anyone could see where I went wrong here.
Thanks
Jim

lalessi1

I am not following your description as I have no specific experience with the automatic shifter assembly. I seem to remember that when I swapped out my '57 box for a '58 box I had to shorten the '57 column. Maybe this helps? I am sure somebody will chime in.
Lynn

hiball3985

Sorry I don't know exactly but when I installed a 58 box ( auto column ) using my 57 ( stick ) column I had to shorten the 57 column.  I don't know if the difference is 58 vs 57 or stick vs auto.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

jhicks5

I got this sorted out after looking at the column from another '57.  An extra spring cap was jammed into the shift tube on mine.  Pulled it out of the shift arm and everything went together just fine.  After spending 3 hours on this I now have a good understanding about how the stock automatic steering column goes together.