News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Self adjusting brakes

Started by Buckaroo, 2021-03-02 12:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Buckaroo

My understanding is if I add self adjusters to my stock drum brakes the hole on the right side will not line up with the star wheel.  What backing plate can I get to replace the stock one for that side?

Lgcustom

How about make a new slot where you need it.

Buckaroo

I did think about that.  That maybe what i need to do.

Lou

Mount the right side opposite of the left side, that's what Ford did with the self adjusters on the rear brakes of my 88 Mustang.

KULTULZ

If there is anyone here that has done this and the adjuster did not line-up correctly, can he post a photo?

The actual adjuster(s) are R and L and I have heard of this before but have not actually seen an example. If installed correctly, they should align.
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

MERCURY - EDSEL - LINCOLN

Fabulous50s

How are the self adjusters working for you who have done it? I'm considering putting them as well.
Taylor....north of ordinary!

59 Galaxie 500 Town Sedan, 352 2-speed Ford-O-Matic.. changing to 3+O/D Granada Toploader.

KULTULZ

The main problem(s) with the self-adjuster upgrade is the anchor pins not being deep enough to accept the cable end and possibly having to find a set of later shoes that are drilled to accept the new springs/hardware.

The solution is usually to reduce the thickness of the retracting spring retainer. Not really comfortable with that personally or grinding the anchor pin head to gain additional length..

MERC began in 1957 and FORD 1958 on select models.
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

59meteor

Quote from: KULTULZ on 2021-03-17 12:14
The main problem(s) with the self-adjuster upgrade is the anchor pins not being deep enough to accept the cable end and possibly having to find a set of later shoes that are drilled to accept the new springs/hardware.

The solution is usually to reduce the thickness of the retracting spring retainer. Not really comfortable with that personally or grinding the anchor pin head to gain additional length..

MERC began in 1957 and FORD 1958 on select models.
Curious which 58 Fords had self adjusters. My 59, as well as several other 59s that I parted out did not have self adjusting hardware at all.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

KULTULZ

Well, that's the problem.

Advertising announced for 1958, but there is nothing in the 1949/1959 PASS CAR MPC or 58 FORD SHOP MANUAL. There are references to 57 MERC/ (MPC) and 1958 EDSEL and I would a$$-u-me LINC. My guess is high trim models.

No parts info until 1961. But the FINAL ISSUE 49/59 MPC was continuously superseded in areas so one would have to have an early issue chassis catalog to find out.

When (and if) I find anymore info, I will post it on this thread.
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

59meteor

I wonder if the announcement of self adjusting brakes may be similar to other items that were scheduled, but either were delayed, or never happened, ie, 427 1968 Mustangs and Fairlanes, Boss 429 Torinos, and the much talked about 302 Tunnel port engines and even the 2 speed serpentine belt setup for the 5.0 Mustangs in the early-mid 80`s.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

Ford Blue blood

My 58 Edsel Pacer 2DrHt (First day of Louisville production car) has self adjusters on all four wheels.  The repair manual, which is an original, has not a single word about them in the brake section.  I feel strongly that they are original as the car only has 47K on it.  On again, off again?  Assembly plant?  The Edsel was produced in Ford and Mercury plants on the same line as the parent car.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Lgcustom

Brakes were not assembled at the assembly plants. They were pre assembled by outside suppliers. Rear axles were complete assemblies with brake drums installed. Front brake backing plates came to the plants with shoes and hardware installed. So, what the plants installed was what the supply chain sent them.

KULTULZ

OK ...

Let me back off of this. It seems I may have confused the ad for 58 EDSEL for FORD.

You say your 58 PACER had self-adjusters? If that is correct then both EDSEL PLATFORMS (FORD-MERC) would have them as MERC began in 1957. If not put on a hi-trim level 58 FORD, why did they forget the 58 BIRD?

LINC began in 1959. Parts documentation shows FORD install 1961/ .

I will keep looking.
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

59meteor

Hmmm, I wonder if possibly Ford put self adjusting brakes on Power Steering equipped cars?  My 59, and 3 other 59s that I parted out were all manual adjusting, plus the 9" rearend in my 59 now, was originally from a 58 Edsel, either a Corsair or Citation Mercury based chassis, since it was wider, and had 5" bolt circle axle flanges. And even that rearend had manual adjusters on the brakes.

KULTULZ

Well, another consideration is that there was a lot of trouble with self-adjusters if the brakes were not serviced regularly. The accumulated brake dust would foul the adjusters.

It was common if a car came in with brake shoes that were worn excessively to remove the self adjusters and replace with an earlier hardware kit (which at the time was common practice but now realize it was not too smart). Same with wanting self-adjusters. Complete kits were offered.

Here is excessive brake dust on a 64 FORD -

MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960