News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

shift linkage

Started by nitro3847, 2021-05-23 18:50

Previous topic - Next topic

nitro3847

Does anyone have a 302 with a c4 in a 57 with column shift, looking for a picture of the linkage rod from the column to the trans, I can't seem to get the angle  correct so it will go in low gear.

gasman826

FOM column had two forward gear selections.  C4 has three forward gear selections.  FOM column will never quite work right with any three gear transmissions.  The only thing I didn't try was to install a three gear detent in a FOM column.  I installed a '64 Galaxie column.  Worked like it was made for it.  I also installed '64 steering box and PS components.  Once adjusted, '64 column worked great with AOD which would be no different for the C4.  Another bonus with the '64 upgrade, reproduction turn signal switch, horn parts, horn ring, horn ring plastic attachment, gear selection display plastic, gear selection chrome housing, gear selection light and smaller steering wheel are all available.

abe_lugo

I would say get under that and check to see if you can click all the gears to the lowest using the level, not connected to the linkage.

Then check to see if your lowest gear is past the overcenter position on the pivot.

If it overcenter, that means that the linkage can be forced to go that far, but if it does it will bind and not want to pull back up.

I actually like Gasman explanation and how he solved it.

I cut and welded my gear selector arm, but not sure I can feel the very lowest gear through the shifter. I have 2 clicks for sure.

Abe      Los Angeles, CA  IN Los Angeles proper. 90008

nitro3847

I should have posted that I went with a 58 column , I have the three speed indicator plenty of travel in the column , the rod that I have works great  back until it reaches its max downward travel then it is trying to drive the lever on the trans straight down instead of pushing it toward the back of the trans.

abe_lugo

Yep, That is exactly what I mean by going overcenter on the pivot.  Even with extra room for the shifter to go down at the column, it is limited.

The rod either can't go back further, or if you force it, it will get stuck and bind.

A good check is to put it in the lowest position you can, the go under and note the position of the gear selector.  Then unhook the shifter rod, see how far the last click is? The difference between the last click your shift linkage goes to and where the gear selector goes, is where you would want to move the lever forward to fix this.

Like Gasman said he used a whole setup from a 64. Gasman was your setup a bell crank style shifter linkage?

Abe      Los Angeles, CA  IN Los Angeles proper. 90008

gasman826

not at first but it is now...without the equalizer, I was concerned the transmission might shift itself.  One of the downsides of too much cam.