News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Offset Relocation Kit

Started by muzza57, 2012-06-06 09:06

Previous topic - Next topic

muzza57

Does anyone know if there is an Offset Relocation Kit available to move the rear springs inward for a 57 Custom 300. I have 15 x 8 Centrelines with a 3 3/4 offset with 275/60/15 tires.

shopratwoody

Don't think there's a "kit" available.
I hate blocksanding!

Lou

To move the springs , you cut the spring perches off and reweld them where you want them.

F570RD

I still have my off set shackles and leaf springs.The front eye hole(outboard) was drilled and the springs moved inward.A washer was placed over the outboard hole and welded into place.Portable hole if you will.Easy way to gain a couple of inches for wheel/tire clearace.New perches were then welded in place.My wheels were 8 inch with a 5 inch back space.You can sure warp a housing when welding new perches on...lol

gasman826

So, somewhere along the way, does the dog leg in the frame and the inner fender tube gets in the way?

bossguy

I think it was Van Cleve Ford in Wa. that cut the rivets on his front hangers and moved them to the inboard side of the rail on their 67 427 Fairlane. Perhaps that and offset rear shackles will work for you?

gasman826

I did some sever butchering on a '66 Fairlane.  They are unibodies so there was no cutting rivets but the thought is the same.  Flipping the brackets or making new ones could certainly be accomplished.  The inward distance would be sever enough to make rear shackle brackets also.  The offset shackles would have to be huge and maybe impractical.  But I am still stuck on the idea that the inner fender is going to be in the way.  If one is going through this much effort, just 4-link and air bag or coil over it and be done!  Lighter, stronger, more flexible, height adjustable, pinion angle adjustable, tuneable.  Except for the heims joints and air bags/coil overs, all the stuff can be home fabricated.  I have fought with leaf springs in big trucks, 4X4s, Galaxies, Fairlanes, Mustangs, with slapper bars, ladder bars, lift blocks, lowering blocks, shackles, add-a-leaf, and shims.  They are simple and strong but heavy and unyielding to modifications.  They can be improved on but they are limited to what they are.

'66 Fairlane GT 428CJ 4sped Gasser attempt with Econoline front axle and ladder bar rear.  Ton-a-fun!!!!!

F570RD

"So, somewhere along the way, does the dog leg in the frame and the inner fender tube gets in the way"?
             Yes! :002:

bossguy

I responded to Gasman on my laptop (hate that thing) last nite and when I hit "send" nothing happened. My letters to Van Cleve Ford in Wa were before my son was born so it has to be over 26 years ago. In thinking about it I believe they cut the spot welds and swapped the frame rails side for side on the 67 Fairlane. I can't remember who it was put the spring hangers on the inside of the frame rails. Both pretty cool ideas I thought.

muzza57

Thanks everone this has been a great help. One more thing. With the wheel/tires I am using do I have to run a narrowed diff?

F570RD

Bossguy,Are you refering to the Van Cleve Super Stock Fairlane?

bossguy

Yes, their 67 Fairlane was a runnin Machine!

F570RD

muzza57 ...although my housing is at 50 inches now,I did fit this with the standard housing width.Street tires should be less of a problem.The section width of a drag slick as I ran were very close.

Bossguy...You betcha! In the hands of Stephan and Horace Johnson now.I think it held the SS/E record a year back.Mid 9 second Fairlane sedan..... :004:

muzza57

Thanks for that. Was thinking of going to 54 inch diff width